akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
We had our first predator attack yesterday. Three chickens gone. 😭 We are guessing fox. We free range and realize the risk. We don’t have the ability to make a run sufficient in size for our birds. At first, we considered getting a herding dog as a barn dog to help protect. But then someone mentioned getting guineas instead. I’ve never heard of them really before today. Looking for opinions/personal experiences on keeping guineas as alarm systems in our little backyard flock. I’d much rather have more birds than another dog. 🙃 Their coop is a bit away from the house so hoping the sound doesn’t bother us much. Neighbors are not very close to us either. I also have a new batch of chicks that I would raise them with.

Guineas will make a racket if a predator is lurking around but they are just as likely to be picked off as the chickens. Most all of my losses came from roosting up in the rafters and being picked off by an owl at night. Can't say that they even saved a chicken. They were always off much farther away from the coop and never mingled with the chickens while free ranging

Guineas are not a substitute for a guardian livestock animal. Yes, they will make a racket when there's a predator but they are also being hunted by the same predator. Guineas do have the ability to fly but there's not much in terms of defense. I have chickens, ducks and guineas and we have two dogs to help with the foxes and we still have had losses.

It's really necessary to have a safe coop and at least a smaller safe run, for the many times when your birds will need to be locked in a safe place, maybe for weeks. Like your situation right now, because your predator will return until all your birds are gone.
Guineas make an awful racket, and don't really protect anyone, and as mentioned, die too.
It takes time, as in years often, and fencing, to have a useful dog out there. And it's the most expensive option, by far!
Electric fencing, or electric poultry netting, does a good job keeping ground predators out! Look at that option, it's not hard to set up, and if it's leagal where you live, do that.
Mary

It's really necessary to have a safe coop and at least a smaller safe run, for the many times when your birds will need to be locked in a safe place, maybe for weeks. Like your situation right now, because your predator will return until all your birds are gone.
Guineas make an awful racket, and don't really protect anyone, and as mentioned, die too.
It takes time, as in years often, and fencing, to have a useful dog out there. And it's the most expensive option, by far!
Electric fencing, or electric poultry netting, does a good job keeping ground predators out! Look at that option, it's not hard to set up, and if it's leagal where you live, do that.
Mary
This is what I'm thinking about. Would also help with human thieves.

We had our first predator attack yesterday. Three chickens gone. 😭 We are guessing fox. We free range and realize the risk. We don’t have the ability to make a run sufficient in size for our birds. At first, we considered getting a herding dog as a barn dog to help protect. But then someone mentioned getting guineas instead. I’ve never heard of them really before today. Looking for opinions/personal experiences on keeping guineas as alarm systems in our little backyard flock. I’d much rather have more birds than another dog. 🙃 Their coop is a bit away from the house so hoping the sound doesn’t bother us much. Neighbors are not very close to us either. I also have a new batch of chicks that I would raise them with.
Can you consider a small donkey or Llama?

Back
Top Bottom