Has anyone fried or roasted 3 month old heritage breeds?

CNJ

Free Ranging
Oct 12, 2020
Oahu
I was wondering if anyone processed heritage cockerels and hens around 3 months old? I would like to know if their meat and skin are tender when fried or roasted?

I know at 5 months old their meat and skin are like rubber and needs to be stewed or used to make soup.

My 3 month old Breese/Dark Cornish crosses are crowing and need to be processed, but they haven't filled in yet and look skinny. Furthermore, they were raised in a 4ft x 8ft wire floor coop with out free ranging.

I will try frying a few to see how their meat and skin texture are at that age.

Last edited:
I don't fry (ever). Nothing to do with the bird, everything to do with my utter lack of respect for heat and the frequency with which I routinely burn myself while frying. Severely, more than once. [I have also twice opened pressure cookers w/o first relieving said pressure. 0/10 - do not recommend. Seriously, expect a visit to the ER where they can do substantially nothing for the injury, or the pain, except bill you for the visit.]

I have roasted at 10 weeks and wasn't entirely disappointed.

I don't fry (ever). Nothing to do with the bird, everything to do with my utter lack of respect for heat and the frequency with which I routinely burn myself while frying. Severely, more than once. [I have also twice opened pressure cookers w/o first relieving said pressure. 0/10 - do not recommend. Seriously, expect a visit to the ER where they can do substantially nothing for the injury, or the pain, except bill you for the visit.]

I have roasted at 10 weeks and wasn't entirely disappointed.
I have an electric deep fryer. I filter the oil after use and store it on my stove top. It would be a waste if I don't use it, so I fry things weekly.

I was wondering if anyone processed heritage cockerels and hens around 3 months old? I would like to know if their meat and skin are tender when fried or roasted?

I know at 5 months old their meat and skin are like rubber and needs to be stewed or used to make soup.

My 3 month old Breese/Dark Cornish crosses are crowing and need to be processed, but they haven't filled in yet and look skinny. Furthermore, they were raised in a 4ft x 8ft wire floor coop with out free ranging.

I will try frying a few to see how their meat and skin texture are at that age.
Roasted and barbecued. The secret is to let them sit in the fridge after you've killed and prepared them for three or four days before you cook them.

Roasted and barbecued. The secret is to let them sit in the fridge after you've killed and prepared them for three or four days before you cook them.
I'll try some roasted and some smoked. Smoking is easier for me and takes less time to cook. In comparison, roasting takes longer and uses more charcoal, but it has visual advantages.
Roasted and smoked 4 month old Breese.......
DSCN0264.JPG

DSCN0271.JPG

Last edited:
I grind corn meal with a bullet blender and turn it into a yellow corn flour, then I mix it with regular flour, salt and water to make my chicken batter. However, so far I found that only Jumbo Cornish X is suitable for fried chicken.

I will try to process my Dark Cornish/Breese crosses earlier like 3 months to see if age makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom