Heat Lamp for Meat Birds

lsv313

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Everett, WA
I have twenty-five 2 1/2 week old meaties. They are outside in a tractor coop with heat lamps. I am wondering when and if I will be able to take the heat lamps off of them. The temperatures here range from 50's to low 60's (not much difference between day and night temps). Will they need the heat lamp the whole time? I have heard some say that they are "hot" birds and don't need as much heat as regular chicks; I have heard others say that since they grow so fast, they don't have the feather covering of normal birds and need more heat. This is my first go at meaties, so I'm completely new at this whole thing.

They do run hotter than other birds, and at 2.5 weeks, I'd start turning the lamps off during the day to get them weaned off of supplemental heat. After about three weeks, they usually don't need heat lamps, but I wouldn't take them away completely without doing it slowly. It never HURTS them to have the lights on, and if it gets cold they do appreciate a little extra heat, so I usually take the heat away during the day early, then give them heat at night until they're fully feathered unless it's HOT out.

I've heard that starting at 90 degrees at floor level is good for the first week. Drop down 5 degrees a week until they get to 75 degrees after which point they shouldn't need supplemental heat.

Cover with tarp and make sure they have straw it should be okay. I don't put mine out till fully feathered.

Mine are ALWAYS out by three weeks- if you're worried, put a heat lamp on an extension cord for another week at night, but they should be fine. Joel Salatin, who literally wrote the book on pastured pens for meaties, puts his out in freezing temps at three weeks without trouble.

Back
Top Bottom