HELP....chick hasn't absorbed yolk

Tica1217

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Homestead, Florida
I'm a newbie with incubators and ran into an issue. Here's my issue - One chick pipped and seemed to get very quiet. My son panicked and helped him out to soon. He still hadn't absorbed the yolk. I read to leave him in the incubator but I'm uncertain. It's been a day and I am worried and don't know what to do. Also there are approximately 8 more eggs which were due yesterday, April 14th, how long can I wait before losing hope on the other eggs? Can someone please help??? Thanks

On a good note - I have 5 very spunky chicks alive and well!

I'm a newbie with incubators and ran into an issue. Here's my issue - One chick pipped and seemed to get very quiet. My son panicked and helped him out to soon. He still hadn't absorbed the yolk. I read to leave him in the incubator but I'm uncertain. It's been a day and I am worried and don't know what to do. Also there are approximately 8 more eggs which were due yesterday, April 14th, how long can I wait before losing hope on the other eggs? Can someone please help??? Thanks

On a good note - I have 5 very spunky chicks alive and well!
Chicks often take up to 24 hours after pip to zip, much of that is quietly absorbing the yolk and veining. You can leave him in the bator or place him in a coffee mug under the brooder light. As long as the yolk is not ruptured and it hasn't lost significant blood it has a decent chance. I had one that(on it's own) decided to hatch only after 4-5 hours after pipping and had not absorbed the yolk, but his ruptured and he did not make it. I had a second that hatched in the night and still had a marble sized amount still unabsobed, but it was intact. I started with the cup in the bator, but ended up moving it to the brooder under the light and he/she is thriving over a week later. It did take a day to finish and that wasn't a large amount.

You can always candle and if there are no pips water test the rest that haven't hatched.

Thank you so much!!! Can you please explain what water testing is?
Take a bowl, put warm water, (about 100F) in the bowl. Place an egg in the water, give it a minute to float or sink. If it floats AND it moves-wiggles/jiggles/wobbles, you know that it is still alive and moving in there. If it sinks then it's fairly certain that there's no life. If it floats and you see no movement, chances are it too is gone.

Again - thank you so much. You've been extremely helpful.
You're welcome, and congrats on the 5 hatchers.
smile.png

Thank you I feel like a proud mom.

I promise last question for at least an hour
1f60a.png
. After the 21st day, what is the max amount of days you should keep the eggs? I'm going to do the water test but knowing my kids they'll want to keep them and keep hoping.

Last edited:
Thank you I feel like a proud mom.

I promise last question for at least an hour
1f60a.png
. After the 21st day, what is the max amount of days you should keep the eggs? I'm going to do the water test but knowing my kids they'll want to keep them and keep hoping.
A good share of people give them to day 24/25. I had one hatcher on my frist hatch attempt at day 24. He's a beautiful roo, but as he got older I started noticeing he did have problems I contribute to his delayed hatch such as balence and lung capacity.

I have a lot of learning to do but feel I came to the right place
1f423.png
1f425.png
You'll find a lot of good help and info on these pages as long as you remember that people do things differently, no one is right or wrong (in most cases
wink.png
) and you have to find what works for you regardless of how others do it. Stay in your comfort zone and never change something that is working for you just because someone does it differently.

Back
Top Bottom