HELP my duckling has its yolk still attached

EmmaTheDuckLover

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
I'm brand new to hatching ducklings and i'm afraid this little guy might die if i don't help it. it hatched, but it's yolk sac is still attached to its belly, what do i do? image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm brand new to hatching ducklings and i'm afraid this little guy might die if i don't help it. it hatched, but it's yolk sac is still attached to its belly, what do i do?View attachment 3136919View attachment 3136920
Looks like the goo from the bottom of the egg that won’t Absorb it’s attached to its cord that will fall off shortly
The yolk sac egg would be yellow and covering the belly button area
I see it has a tiny yellow still right at the button but this should be fine and baby should have it all done in half hour to an hour
On another note
I would suggestion using the shelf liner that has holes kinda like a soft rubber in the bottom of your Bator
This really helps the babies get grip and prevents splay leg while first learning to walk
I get mine from the dollar store
I have the same type bottom as your bator
Added a picture for reference

Attachments

• 9F665F27-F0CD-4120-A66D-C0B88778CBF7.jpeg
    9F665F27-F0CD-4120-A66D-C0B88778CBF7.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 10
I should add that if you do have a baby you have helped and it has a yolk attached
Putting them back in the egg if possible and into a little bowl or cup wrapped in dry paper towel so they don’t push out while they finish absorbing
If it’s just a little yolk then keeping them in a bowl where they can lay down but not push out and move around till they are absorbed
These ways help to keep baby from ruptured yolk sac as well as other babies from bothering the little one while it absorbs
Most ducklings will not hatch before absorbed its only when we assist and if we are helping then having the supplies ready to go in case makes things much easier
The baby is adorable
How many more left to hatch ?

thank you so much, i will make sure to get one of those! the baby still has it attached to its stomach and it's been about 24 hours, i'll try to just let it be and let nature take its course. thank you again :)
Looks like the goo from the bottom of the egg that won’t Absorb it’s attached to its cord that will fall off shortly
The yolk sac egg would be yellow and covering the belly button area
I see it has a tiny yellow still right at the button but this should be fine and baby should have it all done in half hour to an hour
On another note
I would suggestion using the shelf liner that has holes kinda like a soft rubber in the bottom of your Bator
This really helps the babies get grip and prevents splay leg while first learning to walk
I get mine from the dollar store
I have the same type bottom as your bator
Added a picture for referenc

I should add that if you do have a baby you have helped and it has a yolk attached
Putting them back in the egg if possible and into a little bowl or cup wrapped in dry paper towel so they don’t push out while they finish absorbing
If it’s just a little yolk then keeping them in a bowl where they can lay down but not push out and move around till they are absorbed
These ways help to keep baby from ruptured yolk sac as well as other babies from bothering the little one while it absorbs
Most ducklings will not hatch before absorbed its only when we assist and if we are helping then having the supplies ready to go in case makes things much easier
The baby is adorable
How many more left to hatch ?
there should be about 8 more that are going to hatch, i'll try to keep this updated on the little guy :)

Back
Top Bottom