Help on what to do!!!

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Ok so 3 weeks ago I set duck eggs someone gave me to hatch. Mixed in was also a few much smaller chicken eggs that I held aside and put in a week later.

Well today I go to candle, cool, and mist the duck eggs and thought I heard a peep. Figured no way. Get about half way through and pick one up and there is a very loud peep!!!! It is pipped!!! Found 1 more pipped. Did I mistake 2 (or more) chicken eggs for ducks or are these ducks that early????

I do have 2 incubators, but don't know what to do. I don't think the other 12 eggs will fit in the other incubator. I quickly took out the turning piece and bumped humidity, but that means I had to bump it on the other 12 eggs that should have a week left. I don't want to open the incubator for as long as it would take me to remove 12 eggs in hopes I can squeeze them in the 2nd incubator either. Do I just leave it for the day or so it takes for these 2 eggs to hatch then drop humidity way down again????

Help!!!!

Pics of pipped eggs then duck eggs with pipped eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_225522264.jpg
    IMG_20240426_225522264.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240426_225720579.jpg
    IMG_20240426_225720579.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 4
Ok assuming that I ended up with some chicken eggs mixed in???? But there are 3 pips, I just looked again. I took a pic of all the eggs and put a red dot on the 3 pipped. How can I tell what is a duck eggs and what is a chicken egg?????

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_232350725~2.jpg
    IMG_20240426_232350725~2.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 2
Easy. Don't set up ducks and chickens together! Lmao.

For real though, no clue. I always assumed ducks laid slightly larger eggs than chickens? So maybe size? 🤔

Another way to tell is to mark them with a pencil ahead of time. Like D for duck and C for chicken. And the date on the bottom for when they were set etc.

Easy. Don't set up ducks and chickens together! Lmao.

For real though, no clue. I always assumed ducks laid slightly larger eggs than chickens? So maybe size? 🤔

Another way to tell is to mark them with a pencil ahead of time. Like D for duck and C for chicken. And the date on the bottom for when they were set etc.
I meant now. Someone gave me the eggs and I am hatching them for her so I could hatch and play with ducklings as I don't have ducks. All the eggs looked the same to me. A couple were bigger but the rest are all about the same size.... So I assumed they were all duck. She gave me a few that I knew were chicken because of size and color so those I waited and set a week later.

I meant now. Someone gave me the eggs and I am hatching them for her so I could hatch and play with ducklings as I don't have ducks. All the eggs looked the same to me. A couple were bigger but the rest are all about the same size.... So I assumed they were all duck. She gave me a few that I knew were chicken because of size and color so those I waited and set a week later.
Then tell them to mark eggs lol. I honestly thought there was maybe a size difference 🤔 😅 I guess wait and see what pops out? What day are you on?

Maybe the ducks are early bloomers? Two of my chicks hatched on day 20. Did they pip and just quit? Maybe they are the type to hurry and externally pip but will take forever to zip?
they are still peeping away. it is just a pip right now but ducks hatch on day 28, a friend had hers hatch EARLY on day 26 and pip on day 25ish so that was early. if these were ducklings they would be extremely early even taking 2 days to hatch which they can do. So with them pipping on day 20 my guess is chicks. Mine normally pip around day 19/20. I have had them hatch day 19 when early and most times day 20. so these are more on time then what I normally have for chicks. LOL Guess I see what tomorrow brings but I am guessing it will bring 3 chicks. LOL

they are still peeping away. it is just a pip right now but ducks hatch on day 28, a friend had hers hatch EARLY on day 26 and pip on day 25ish so that was early. if these were ducklings they would be extremely early even taking 2 days to hatch which they can do. So with them pipping on day 20 my guess is chicks. Mine normally pip around day 19/20. I have had them hatch day 19 when early and most times day 20. so these are more on time then what I normally have for chicks. LOL Guess I see what tomorrow brings but I am guessing it will bring 3 chicks. LOL
Well the ducks will have more friends? Lol. Post pics when they hatch!!

Well the ducks will have more friends? Lol. Post pics when they hatch!!
Lol. One has hatched. Can't remember if I posted it already but I have an incubator with 18 chicken eggs developing that are due to hatch with the ducks. At least this group of surprise chicks is more than 1 so it isn't lonely. 1 chick has hatched, 1 egg I can see it's beak, the other nothing

Back
Top Bottom