Help! To cold?

At that age they probably don't need any heat in the house. The temperature is probably the same day and night. They'll tell you how they are doing. If they are too hot they tend to get as far from the heat as they can (with your inside set-up that is not easy) and lay around panting. Panting is how they shed excess heat as they do not sweat. If they are cold they tend to get as close to the heat as they can get (with that light off there is no heat), they huddle up together, fluff up, and give a plaintive peep. That peep is long, drawn out, and really sad. You can tell by listening that something is wrong. If they are neither too hot nor too cold they tend to be active and spread out. Watch and listen to your chicks. They can tell you better than anyone over the internet can.

The important thing in leaving them outside is what are your nighttime lows. A lot of people take them out during the day for a while as enrichment. I think that does more good for the people than the chicks as the people are gaining confidence that the chicks can handle it. The important thing outside is that they be protected from wind and kept dry but temperature is still important when they are that young.

I am a new chicken mama and have 7 hens and a rooster all about 7-8 weeks old (the farm store couldn’t really nail down the age of them when I purchased them but this is my estimate). They are all feathered out, I’ve been turning off the brooder plate during the day, our house is about 74. I live in Kansas City and we have had a very chilly wet stormy spring. I need to get these lovelies out to my coop, days upper 70s but the lows still dip down to 49 and 50 at night and we have more rain spells coming. I’m worried they will be too cold in those overnight temps. I can run an extension cord and put the brooder plate inside but I’m not sure if it would be enough. Am I wrong to be concerned? I can’t find consistent information on an actual temperature to shoot for. I really need some advice. I have orpingtons, Rhode Island Red, wellsummer and 3 wyandottes.

Last edited:
I am a new chicken mama and have 7 hens and a rooster all about 7-8 weeks old (the farm store couldn’t really nail down the age of them when I purchased them but this is my estimate). They are all feathered out, I’ve been turning off the brooder plate during the day, our house is about 74. I live in Kansas City and we have had a very chilly wet stormy spring. I need to get these lovelies out to my coop, days upper 70s but the lows still dip down to 49 and 50 at night and we have more rain spells coming. I’m worried they will be too cold in those overnight temps. I can run an extension cord and put the brooder plate inside but I’m not sure if it would be enough. Am I wrong to be concerned? I can’t find consistent information on an actual temperature to shoot for. I really need some advice. I have orpingtons, Rhode Island Red, wellsummer and 3 wyandottes.
At 7-8 weeks and fully feathered they should be fine without heat. I live in Iowa south and Temps are only slightly cooler. My chicks are 8 weeks old and have been outside for almost 2 weeks with no additional heat.

At 7-8 weeks and fully feathered they should be fine without heat. I live in Iowa south and Temps are only slightly cooler. My chicks are 8 weeks old and have been outside for almost 2 weeks with no additional heat.
Thank you I appreciate it I’m sure your weather is similar to mine right now.

I am a new chicken mama and have 7 hens and a rooster all about 7-8 weeks old (the farm store couldn’t really nail down the age of them when I purchased them but this is my estimate). They are all feathered out, I’ve been turning off the brooder plate during the day, our house is about 74. I live in Kansas City and we have had a very chilly wet stormy spring. I need to get these lovelies out to my coop, days upper 70s but the lows still dip down to 49 and 50 at night and we have more rain spells coming. I’m worried they will be too cold in those overnight temps. I can run an extension cord and put the brooder plate inside but I’m not sure if it would be enough.
They'll be fine, move them out. They don't need heat but if it reassures you go ahead and put the plate in with them for another week.

Rain is something they'll need to learn to shelter from. Mine just hit 6 weeks old and they'll wander out in the rain when it's not too hard, then shelter under any tiny overhang they can find for a few minutes to dry off, and repeat. As I like to say, chicks don't melt in the rain, even partially feathered ones.

They'll be fine, move them out. They don't need heat but if it reassures you go ahead and put the plate in with them for another week.

Rain is something they'll need to learn to shelter from. Mine just hit 6 weeks old and they'll wander out in the rain when it's not too hard, then shelter under any tiny overhang they can find for a few minutes to dry off, and repeat. As I like to say, chicks don't melt in the rain, even partially feathered ones.

I am a new chicken mama and have 7 hens and a rooster all about 7-8 weeks old
I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid-20's Fahrenheit with no problems. They need to be able to get out of direct wind.

lows still dip down to 49 and 50 at night and we have more rain spells coming.
Thanks for including your overnight lows. You would not believe how many people only mention the daytime highs when asking about this. Your chicks will not have a problem in those temperatures. They do need a dry place to sleep.

Your chicks are fully feathered out. It will not hurt them to go walking in the rain unless it is a heavy downpour or a windy storm. My older chickens love to be out in a mild rain. It drives worms up out of the ground where they can get them. To them a light rain means treats.

I can’t find consistent information on an actual temperature to shoot for.
We tend to have different opinions. I like to wait until after 5 weeks to leave mine without heat when it gets down around freezing. Others on here do that at 4 weeks, I'm not that brave. As you saw, others wait until 8 weeks. You will find that with chickens there is very seldom one answer and only one answer. There are usually many different ways that can work. Specific circumstances may dictate that one is better than another in that instance but usually there are manty different ways to do anything that work. Do not expect consistency on this forum.

I understand. These gals (and guy) are starting to really get agitated and bored and I notice some of their tail feathers are getting bit. I think. They will definitely be happier with a bigger place to call home for a few days then on to the yard. I see we are now looking at 60 as a low consistently and I am more comfortable with that number. Thanks for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom