Hen or Rooster Game

Meangel

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
I have been playing this game with friends and fellow chicken fans for weeks now:
We looked at comb size and position, we looked at feathers and cape, leg and spur size....no consensus. I am getting impatient.
It doesn't matter, they live here now. Not going to harvest. But I have a "need to know" temperment. LOL
Info -
  • March 21 -purchased 5 chicks (?) from strait run mixed breed farm. We use our combined efforts to select pullet choices. Not sure of breeds (he mentioned Orpington and Americauna). It was raining and I didn't go see the flock. - 4 to 6 wks old (I think, they had most of their adults feather with a little chick down left)
  • May 7, 2020- 3 to 4 months (at least).
  • They have been fully feathered for weeks.
  • No eggs and no crowing.

Hen or Rooster?
Note: Chickie 1 is half the size - so I am guessing a bantam cross?

Thanks for playing!
Confused

Attachments

• Chickie 1-1.jpg
    Chickie 1-1.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 15
  • chickie 1-2.jpg
    chickie 1-2.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 12
  • chickie 2-1.jpg
    chickie 2-1.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 11
  • chickie 2-2.jpg
    chickie 2-2.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 12
  • chickie 3-1.jpg
    chickie 3-1.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 12
  • chickie 3-2.jpg
    chickie 3-2.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 10
  • chickie 4-1.jpg
    chickie 4-1.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 10
  • chickie 4-2.jpg
    chickie 4-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • chickie 5-1.jpg
    chickie 5-1.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 11
  • chickie 5-2.jpg
    chickie 5-2.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 11
The first four are cockerels. I am not certain about # 5. Is he/she the same age as the others ?

unsure - they seemed to be the same size, they were all in a brooder together.
I would assume they were hatched in close time frame.

Chickie 5 seems to be getting some attitude - puffing the neck feathers and jumping at others. So....based on the consensus and his recent behavior....I think I hit the cockerel jackpot!! LOL

When do they start crowing? I would have thought somebody would make some noise. They little is still chirping like a chick. They others stopped making chick noises weeks ago.

Chickie 5 seems to be getting some attitude - puffing the neck feathers and jumping at others. So....based on the consensus and his recent behavior....I think I hit the cockerel jackpot!! LOL

When do they start crowing? I would have thought somebody would make some noise. They little is still chirping like a chick. They others stopped making chick noises weeks ago.
Probably any day now. Especially now that you asked 😂

Back
Top Bottom