Hen with sticky saliva on/in beak

I have a 5 week old chick with the same symptoms. Sticky saliva all around and in mouth so sticky that she has pine shavings stuck all over her face. Hasn’t moved all day I was sure she would die last night but she is still alive this morning in the same condition. I got tylan and tried giving through syringe which didn’t go so well I made her aspirate and she was flopping all around couldn’t breath. I was sure she was a goner. But still alive this morning. 🙏 I am now just going to sprinkle it in her water and dip her beak in it. Any body have any answered to what this might be? Oh her crop feels empty and I have not seen her eating or drinking.
Sadly my little chickie died. This probably went on for 4-5 days, she would try to eat but the sticky stuff made it impossible. I gave her water but it didn't help. I had ordered some medications for her but she died before we got them. So far no other chick has had the same thing happen. Hopefully your chick makes it.

Sadly my little chickie died. This probably went on for 4-5 days, she would try to eat but the sticky stuff made it impossible. I gave her water but it didn't help. I had ordered some medications for her but she died before we got them. So far no other chick has had the same thing happen. Hopefully your chick makes it.
I’m so sorry about your chickie. My chick is having the same issue. Today is day 4. She seems better. She is getting food and water down. She seems happy. I put ACV in her water, a good amount. I also am using chick vitamin powder. I’m putting powdered garlic (organic and very good quality) in her food with a little water to make is easier to get down. The advice I keep getting is that it’s impacted crop. I don’t feel anything in her crop. She seems skinny but she is only 4.5-5 weeks old. I don’t know when to put her back with the flock. I really don’t know if it’s impacted crop or something contagious. The other chicks are fine so far.

I’m so sorry about your chickie. My chick is having the same issue. Today is day 4. She seems better. She is getting food and water down. She seems happy. I put ACV in her water, a good amount. I also am using chick vitamin powder. I’m putting powdered garlic (organic and very good quality) in her food with a little water to make is easier to get down. The advice I keep getting is that it’s impacted crop. I don’t feel anything in her crop. She seems skinny but she is only 4.5-5 weeks old. I don’t know when to put her back with the flock. I really don’t know if it’s impacted crop or something contagious. The other chicks are fine so far.
Thank you, it was very sad! We buried under the hen house so she would still be apart of the flock. She was so sweet.

How is your chick doing?

Thank you, it was very sad! We buried under the hen house so she would still be apart of the flock. She was so sweet.

How is your chick doing?
Breaks my heart. So sweet.
Our sick chick, Bunny, made a full recovery. I don't know how or what it was but what I noticed was she couldn't keep the crumbles down because of the excess saliva. I had purchased an organic local chick starter/grower crumble that was more pellet like. Bigger bits. She started eating those, basically swallowing them, by the handful. She was so hungry. She ate them all day and started drinking a lot of water on her own without us forcing it on her. We also put organic garlic powder in her food and added probiotics and vitamins to her water. Bunny is so sweet too. I put her outside with her friends and she is so happy. Everyone is treating her really nice. Bunny still knows who I am. When I call her, she tries to escape and run towards me! She still needs to gain more weight, but otherwise is doing great. I've asked so many folks what could have made Bunny ill. They couldn't figure it out. I suspect she ate something unsavory when I let them all out on my porch the one day. Or an impacted crop. She had the exact same symptoms as your sweet girl.

Breaks my heart. So sweet.
Our sick chick, Bunny, made a full recovery. I don't know how or what it was but what I noticed was she couldn't keep the crumbles down because of the excess saliva. I had purchased an organic local chick starter/grower crumble that was more pellet like. Bigger bits. She started eating those, basically swallowing them, by the handful. She was so hungry. She ate them all day and started drinking a lot of water on her own without us forcing it on her. We also put organic garlic powder in her food and added probiotics and vitamins to her water. Bunny is so sweet too. I put her outside with her friends and she is so happy. Everyone is treating her really nice. Bunny still knows who I am. When I call her, she tries to escape and run towards me! She still needs to gain more weight, but otherwise is doing great. I've asked so many folks what could have made Bunny ill. They couldn't figure it out. I suspect she ate something unsavory when I let them all out on my porch the one day. Or an impacted crop. She had the exact same symptoms as your sweet girl.
I'm so glad Bunny is better!!! Can you possibly post a picture of the pellet type of food? Just incase future chicks of mine start having the same problem. Thank you for updating also, everything I could find previously very few people ever updated.

I'm so glad Bunny is better!!! Can you possibly post a picture of the pellet type of food? Just incase future chicks of mine start having the same problem. Thank you for updating also, everything I could find previously very few people ever updated.
I attached a picture of the feed and also a cute pic of the babes :) Bunny is flourishing. She is gaining more weight and adapted to the group just fine. I attribute it all to this food honestly. Those chick vitamins work too, the electrolytes and probiotics.

Attachments

• 2B157B69-68CF-4BAF-A859-766878FD4BDD.jpeg
    2B157B69-68CF-4BAF-A859-766878FD4BDD.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 3D327F18-3DD7-4E19-BD8E-F7A77C17941D.jpeg
    3D327F18-3DD7-4E19-BD8E-F7A77C17941D.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 29
My baby chick about 4 weeks old has been healthy. I’ve had a few chicks so far die and they all had the slime open mouth. They are very inactive and seem to want to cuddle others that are running and playing in the brooder. If I rubbed the chicks chest it opens its mouth showing the tongue. I feel like it’s spreading or I’m doing something wrong!

Back
Top Bottom