Hens age stunting chicks growth?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Henny Penny is a couple hours older than her hatch mates but she’s half their size. I’m fairly certain she’s from my 6 year old hen which is the only explanation I can think of for her being so tiny? She did have an injury with the brooder plate coming apart and falling on her (not enough to crush her thankfully but enough to trap her and sprain her wing. She’s fully recovered) but she was half their size even before that. I am aware of failure to thrive but she has the same diet and treatment as her hatch mates… any ideas?

Hard to get a good picture but she is half their size. Is she’s from the hen I think she is she should be on the bigger side.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
She looks like she's doing OK. I wouldn't worry about it for a bit. Is she eating? If she could possibly be a different breed that might be it. Not all chickens grow at the same pace.

She looks like she's doing OK. I wouldn't worry about it for a bit. Is she eating? If she could possibly be a different breed that might be it. Not all chickens grow at the same pace.
Yes she’s eating, she’s one of my most active. I’m just curious as to why she’s so small… I am just about positive Cinnamon (my black sex link) is her mom because the egg she hatched from was really big. Then her dad was my old Swedish Flower. Her past babies had a different dad but they were on the bigger side

Back
Top Bottom