How do I get my chickens to go in the coop before nightfall?

well what i do is grab some corn feed and just spinkle a lil by them so they see it and the follow me then i go to the coop and throw it insid then walk away and in less then 20 seconds there inside then i lock it up
hope this helps

Quote:
yes I hollar that too, and now anytime I yell that they come running to me. we have a light that stays on in the coop until nightfall

as far as goodies and treats for the girls, I like to open a can of corn, or left over grits if I have any, broken egg shells and hard boiled eggs(chopped of course), strawberries, and lots of other things. they pretty much know that if I am coming out there I am going to bring them something, expecially when I do my special call for them. also too, I made a treat holder inside the coop that makes a noise when I load it up with goodies for them to peck at, and they come running when they hear me mess with it as well. (it's just chicken wire rolled around into a cylinder with the bottom pinched closed and top open for easy loading. hope all this helps, believe me if you haven't given your girls treats, they will love you even more for it and catch on quite easily.

Quote:
great explanation
big_smile.png

Interesting, my older hens go to roast earlier than the 9 week olds. I have to pick everyone up and move them back to the coop every night. The young ones moved to the coop almost 2 weeks ago. The older ones are being rehomed to the coop for the last 7 days and still returning to the dog crate they were in, but at least those two go somewhere I can catch them before sunset.

I'm up here in Circle, I've never even worried about when they go to their coop. Since they get locked up in the coop for most of the winter I just let mine run around until they decide to go in. It's usually around 12:30 or 1 in the morning when I see them finally walking up the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom