How do I treat campolybacter infection

lovesfarms

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 6, 2016
Dauphin county, pa
Have any of your chickens ever had campolybacter infection? If so what were the symptoms? How did you know they were sick? Did you have them tested? And what did you do to test them?
Last but the most important question, did you contract the bacteria from them?
I have 2 month old chicks. My husband was in the hospital 5 days with that bacterial infection and and was very sick. He's at home but very weak and fatigued.
He's afraid he got it from my chickens and feels I should get rid of them.
The Dr said they rarely see people in their hospital with this but if they do see someone, it was tracked to eating under done poultry. My understanding is you can get it from the feces from your flock. My birds all seem healthy and are eating and have no diarrhea. Did anyone here ever contract a disease from your chickens

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/campylobacteriosis/fact_sheet.htm
Unless you have birds living inside your house, there should be no reason for you to get rid of your birds.
As you can see from the link, handwashing is probably the single most effective thing you can do.
Ramp up your biosecurity, keep hubby away from the birds and don't let them in the house.
Cook eggs/meat properly and keep the compost away from the house area.

It is my understanding that chickens can have campylobacter normally, but they are not sick. They do not need to be treated for it. I believe that I had it when I had baby chicks inside my house in a brooder for 2 weeks. I was the one washing out feeders and waterers several times a day, and of course, washed my hands with soap and water after handling them or the equipment. But the most common way people get it is from eating undercooked or chicken, or possibly other food that has been contaminated by it. That is why it is recommended not to rinse chicken before cooking it, since it can contaminate your kitchen. There is no reason to get rid of your chickens. Anyone who goes to the coop should always wash hands and change shoes afterward. No children are allowed to handle them without washing hands after. Google campylobacter and do some research on the disease. There is a lot of misinformation to discourage people from owning backyard chickens, so read from a few different sources.

Thank you for the answers. I grew up on a farm and we had lots of poultry and we never got sick from it. I can only remember once having a sickness in the chickens that needed to be treated, it affected their kidneys. We never ate rare done meat.
My husband has a chronic immuno-deficient disease and eats only rare done meat. He has put great pressure on me to get rid of my little friends, the chickens and it has put a huge strain on me. I did Google it but I wished to hear from other people, it's reassuring to hear that you don't say that I need to get rid of them to fix the problem

I just read a book entirely about antibiotic use and resistance in commercial chickens as both health treatments and as growth promoters. After reading that book, I would say the chances your husband got this infection from your backyard flock is next to none, but use of medicated feed with your flock could be a possible issue. It's much more likely that it came from chicken that he ate or handled that was commercially produced and processed. If you're interested in a good read, the book is called "Big Chicken: The Incredible Story of How Antibiotics Created Modern Agriculture and Changed the Way the World Eats" by Maryn McKenna. Much of the book specifically discuses campylobacter in detail.

Last edited:
Consider having fecals from your birds tested for this. I agree that sanitation is most important, and the mis-handling or undercooking food in the kitchen is likely the problem.
Also, if you have dogs or cats, do you feed them raw foods? That's a big issue too. You can also have their fecals tested, and I'd recommend it. His situation is different because he has immune system issues, and being more careful is good. Talk to your veterinarian about sending fecals in for the testing. Also fresh produce can be contaminated.
Mary

I did call a vet now and he says it can be easily transmitted and it would probably be about $20 each to get each chick tested. I have six 8-week old chicks, I already rehomed 4- I was supposed to have all pullets and they started crowing 2 weeks ago so I had to get rid of them. I think I still have 2 more roosters, just not crowing yet. I don't have any other pets. Also he doesn't do anything with the chickens, I do everything but his friend convinced him he got it through me. I also have a lower immune system, crohns and kidney disease and I didn't get sick at all. But unlike him, I will not eat undercooked meats. He can't eat fresh fruits and veggies but I do.

Back
Top Bottom