How fast does mycoplasma gallisepticum spread to next flock?

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
I curse myself, I didn't know the bubbling eye meaning. I thought it was the wind and rain. I only read about treatment, I didn't read to the end.. At the moment I can't do analyzes, I have so many chickens, in different coops. Its CRD, I am sure. Almost 4 years I feed chickens immune-boosting foods, in addition to natural anti-inflammatory herbs. All birds lay eggs, are visually healthy, but in autumn the winds and moisture bring bubbling water to some chicken eyes ( especially for the one 4 y. old rooster) and also little swelling in one eye. For individuals, not for all and not every season. I have still my origin first chickens 4 years old and with that rooster, but they have no symptoms. The old ones are all going to be culled, plans to do so in the coming days. I read that MG spreads slowly. How do you have experience? 15 feet away, not right next , but in the same room I have orpingtones in the same building, 2 months old. Are they too .... or is there hope? These young chicks are my only concern at the moment. Sorry my english!

Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is a chronic disease for life. It is not as contagious as some diseases, but it can spread through direct contact, on equipment, and shoes and hands. It can spread through the hatching egg. All birds become carriers for life. It is not necessary to cull all birds, but best to close your flock for the life of all birds. If one chicken is left, or another type of poultry, the disease can be carried on to new generations. MG only lasts about a few days in the environment once chickens are gone. Then it is possible to get new healthy baby chicks who will not be affected.

Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is a chronic disease for life. It is not as contagious as some diseases, but it can spread through direct contact, on equipment, and shoes and hands. It can spread through the hatching egg. All birds become carriers for life. It is not necessary to cull all birds, but best to close your flock for the life of all birds. If one chicken is left, or another type of poultry, the disease can be carried on to new generations. MG only lasts about a few days in the environment once chickens are gone. Then it is possible to get new healthy baby chicks who will not be affected.
Thank you! I know that all. There is a little...slow ( I hope) word. This is the word and meaning what I'm looking for.

• MG is a slow spreading infection, and often infected birds remain healthy without showing any overt signs of disease. Once other complicating factors — such as environmental stressors (elevated heat, ammonia levels, dust, or cold drafts), nutritional deficiencies, other infections (such as infectious bronchitis or laryngotracheitis virus) — lower immunity of the flock, MG may flare up as overt disease.
  • MG adversely affects fertility, hatchability, and survival of baby chicks.
  • MG will spread easily to other flocks on the farm, to neighbor’s flocks, to birds of different species, and to wild birds.

English is not my mother language. When I read from several places "slow" I get hope. Does "slow" mean to you anything else or I just imagine.

MG does not spread slowly, but it is less likely to spread over a distance, as infectious bronchitis virus would spread through the air. It can take as little as 6-10 days for an exposed chicken to develop symptoms of MG. Or they can hold the disease in their bodies for time, then when faced with stress of moulting or cold weather, they may have symptoms.

MG does not spread slowly, but it is less likely to spread over a distance, as infectious bronchitis virus would spread through the air. It can take as little as 6-10 days for an exposed chicken to develop symptoms of MG. Or they can hold the disease in their bodies for time, then when faced with stress of moulting or cold weather, they may have symptoms.
My all flock dosn´t have symptoms and never had- 4 years! In that flock just is couple bird who gets bubble eye. Next flock (7 members) has received water in the eyes of only one chicken, after 5 hours inexperienced in the rain. If there is a chance that, your messinger: they can hold.. it's unbelievable.

My birds spread MG through sharing water dishes. I try to keep the water clean, disinfected, and have four different water stations. Unfortunately my flock also has every other disease and I lose probably 30% like the article @Eggcessive shared says.

My birds spread MG through sharing water dishes. I try to keep the water clean, disinfected, and have four different water stations. Unfortunately my flock also has every other disease and I lose probably 30% like the article @Eggcessive shared says.
Ok, thanks. Our coops are (we have in Europe almost like huge farms) not small houses. We have fence walls between boxes and all breeds are separate. But it spreads through the air, dust. Thats the problem. The question is how fast?

Ok, thanks. Our coops are (we have in Europe almost like huge farms) not small houses. We have fence walls between boxes and all breeds are separate. But it spreads through the air, dust. Thats the problem. The question is how fast?

I brought home a sick hen from the market 12 months ago when it was a baby. There was also a stray sick rooster that would hang out at my property, about the same time.

In one year, I went from zero sick chickens in a flock of 30-50, to today, only 1 in 4 baby chicks grows up healthy. My flock has at least 50% showing chronic infections with symptoms of many other diseases as well. So in one year, it basically can become chronic for the entire flock.

There is a recovery rate, of the 3 in 4 baby chicks that gets ill, at least 1 or 2 end up growing up and the symptoms disappear. I have 6 young adult roosters that 5 were ill, and 2 are showing no signs at all, 1 shows minor symptoms, and one shows compound symptoms from other illnesses.

It's not possible to say it is all MG, but I would say after a year in a closed flock, at least half would be exposed.

My conditions are extremely different from yours. I live in a tropical climate with no fences between birds. They sleep in five different areas, as my flock has grown to over 50 not counting new hatches. They are mixed and totally free in a jungle.

Back
Top Bottom