How hot is too hot for Quail? (had 2 die :( )

MicroFarmMom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Okay so I tried to search but my phone wont let me!

I went out to do the typical food and water chore with the Quail today only to find 2 of my 7 dead. The rest eagerly ate and drank - but I am wondering since it's just so freaking HOT here in Texas, if the heat might have had something to do with it? Also I noticed spiders around the pen lately - is it possible a spider could have bitten them? I didn't see any obvious injury. Is there something else I should look for as a cause to their deaths? Something that can affect the others?

Also - my quail are the messiest eaters and waste food BIG TIME! Is there a better feeder - or can you share ideas for food preservations?

I've not lost any to the heat, the temperature swings we have here are what gets mine (80's one day, 30's the next). However, it is very likely that this was your problem, especially if the temps have recently risen higher? Make sure that you have a full dust pan in their cage as this (dusting) will help them keep cool, and you can also put some frozen bottles of water for them to snuggle with if they get too hot.

I use a slide-top chick feeder for my coturnix and they don't waste any. The trick with those is to make sure that the feed is below the level of the holes so they can't scratch it out with their beaks.

As far as the feeder question goes, try the feeders that they have to stick their head into. We have them here in a store called Rural King for a couple dollars, the top slides onto the bottom with about 12 holes in the top. It helps keep them from flinging so much.

Quote:
Yeah, that's the slide-top chick feeder. There's someone that makes feeders for them and sells them on Ebay and here in the 'everything else' section of the auction...I can't remember his name right now though
hmm.png

Quote:
Yeah, that's the slide-top chick feeder. There's someone that makes feeders for them and sells them on Ebay and here in the 'everything else' section of the auction...I can't remember his name right now though
hmm.png

I THINK IT WAS JIM'S BIRDHOUSE??? MAYBE WRONG THO
sad.png

Quote:
hmm.png

sad.png

yup thats the one. He's from Texas, down by 7L I think.... Bill

Quote:
sad.png

yup thats the one. He's from Texas, down by 7L I think.... Bill

I was thinking Jim's Farm--something--, so I guess I was part right
lol.png

Quote:
add electrolytes to the birds' water source. i was losing birds in the heat until i did this and haven't lost 1 to the heat since.It's what Quaillady suggested i do.

my quail EAT spiders ..with great enthusiasm! LOL

i use cat litter boxes for feeders. They really like to "bathe" and scratch around in their food so i use the boxes. For chicks that are too small to get over the litter pan sides i use the solid bottomed plastic flats used to start plant seedlings in . i have almost O waste.

Quote:
Thank you for the frozen water bottle idea. Also I find that mine will STAND in their water crock(attached to side of cage type) and I keep those in ADDITION to the water bottle with nipple type waterer. I the bowl version underneath to catch drips. Also I really do see them dunking their face/head in the water, I see them stand/ run thru it.

Even in my neighborhood in SW Colorado it got to 101 last week. I have fans going, one big box fan inside, one mounted exhausting hot air out and the northern window open and covered with shade cloth.

Short of putting a small airconditioner in for the wee spoiled girls....I don't know what else to do, but the frozen water bottle is AWESOME. Used to carry frozen milkjug size water in the animal control trucks for just that kind of thing, overheated animal somewhere. Good one as usual Shelly.

Tonya

Back
Top Bottom