How long does chicken feed last in storage?

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I may be able to get a couple hundred pounds of feed, but I was wondering how long it would last. They would be in a the sealed bag that they come in, then put into a plastic trash can in my shed. The place I can get them is $19 for a 100 pounds, which I am right now paying $16 for 50 pounds. It is kinda far, so I don't want to have to make the trip more times that I have to. Will chicken feed last up to 6 months? Or is it only good for 2 months? Or maybe just 1?

Stored optimally, it is good for 3-4 months. But in the summer you would NOT want to do that. Over winter if kept cool and dry, definitely! If you can freeze your feed then hey keep it as long as you want. (Just be aware that in taking it out of the freezer it will get moist and thus only take out enough for the next day or two of feeding.)

Last edited:
This isn't based on any research, etc, just my common sense.

Corn is harvested once a year. Wheat is what, twice a year depending on the type? Oats are once a year. I don't have any idea about soybeans, but I have the feeling they're a once a year (or maybe twice) crop. So, the feed I buy from the Grange today is from corn harvested last summer, unless they're getting corn from somewhere else cause no corn was harvested in the US in the last few months! Same for the other grains. So, my thought is the feed should be able to be stored for several months at least. Keep it dry, moisture is the enemy of storing any food or feed. Cool and sealed, as you describe, I don't see why it wouldn't last six months.

Also, check with the supplier, they should be able to give you an idea.

Okay! Do you think that it could last 2 months in the summer? It would be amazing only to have to make the trip 6 times a year.

In my garage it would last 2 months, as I have an insulated garage and keep the feed off the floor on a pallet inside a metal garbage can. Personally I would not keep the feed for 2 months in a hot shed where temps get up to 90s or 100s for that long (if that is your setup). Some sheds get very hot and some don't LOL.

Vitamin deficiencies in chickens are not pretty and the high heat would degrade the feed too much for my liking. But use your judgement and what works for me might not work for you so to speak.

Last edited:
I recently went to a web site for "preppers" (those that store food for possible catastrophe) and whole corn (not chopped) lasts two years, pinto bean seeds can still sprout at five years, I tried corn meal that was 4 years past the sell by date and it did not kill me, can't tell about vitamin loss. Sunflower seeds had moths and hatched larve within six months.

Extreme heat is the biggest concern as it does break down certain vitamins and nutrients. As long as feed is dry and not stored in extreme heat it will last a very long time. If your storage area doesn't get much over 80F then 3-4 months is not expecting too much. My feed is stored in a metal container out with the chickens. A 50 lb bag lasts a month and yes, it gets far too over heated. I'm building a shelter over part of the run this year so it'll be out of the sun.

Back
Top Bottom