How to prevent the breakage of foot feathers?

alibra

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Getting my first D'uccles tomorrow. Is there any way to help prevent the breakage of foot feathers other than extreme "child-proofing" with shavings? Any solutions to soften them?

Actually....i should have added that they don't look nice right now because of mud!

Mud is the problem I have with keeping feathered feet pretty.

And my kids love all over my d'uccles, with no damage (but my youngest is now 5)

@Alaskan, your coop looks like a pool house! Super nice! I love the nesting boxes! Hopefully I'll have good luck with the foot feathers. I just don't want any bloody feather breaking issues!

I totally understand. The one that broke on my Cochin just about gave me heart failure. My Cochins are white. :rolleyes: Once I calmed down and picked her up and looked her all over, I saw that it actually hadn't bled that much, but bright red smeared on white is one terrible sight to behold!

The d'uccle that broke a feather wasn't as traumatizing to "me", since it didn't look anywhere near as bad.

I can only imagine how terrifying that would be! Like red wine on white carpet vs red wine on brown carpet.... Big visual difference! Ahhh!

Back
Top Bottom