I need help and FAST...Anybody a VET on these boards?

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
Hi everyone,

I have a very dear Barred Rock named Tic Tac. She is loved by everyone and is such an affectionate girl. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I removed a bumblefoot scab off of each foot. Everyday I diligently soaked her feet in epsom salt, betadine, and peroxide. Neosporin, and wrapped them up lightly in vetwrap. Surprisingly it stayed clean between changings and it was looking pretty good. Then last thursday I left to go visit my family in VT till Sunday. When I got back my poor Tic Tac is limping and when I unwrapped her feet it didn't look so good. The infection spread. One foot looks a little better then the other. The one that doesn't look good is very swollen. I went to TSC and bought some PenG Procaine 300,000 units/ml, but found out that the state of NJ does not allow sales of syringes. I don't have the time or ability to travel over to the PA border to purchase them. What am I to do? Can I give this stuff orally???

I'm in a real pickle!! I'm desperate!

Any suggestions? There is no Poultry vet anywhere in the 50 mile vicinity. Nor do I have the financial ability to do the vet route anyway.

I'm scared and don't know what to do
hit.gif

I don't have any suggestion for you ..
hugs.gif

Is it possible that the bandage was on too snug .. and the swelling is not due to infection?

Does she have an open wound on her foot? Also, do any of the feed stores sell syringes? If she has an open sore on her foot, put some of the penicillin on it, I know it sounds nuts but an old timer told me to try this after finding a severly injured dog and he healed so fast (his wounds). It is worth a try. I wish I could help with the syringes. Good luck, sounds like you love her alot.

Candace

I went to 3 feed stores, TSC, one is AGWAY and the other a local farmer. None sell or have syringes. It's now illegal to sell them in NJ.

The round large spot where the scab from the bumble foot is still visible, but not open. I have her separate in the garage in a brooder cage with soft clean shavings, and no bandages on her feet. Figured I'd let them air out.

No open wounds, just swelling. I don't want to cut into her again. I'm hoping and praying that if I can get her the penicillin it will help her. Her comb is still nice and red, she's eating and drinking and pooping normal. But her comb is floppy a little...but that could be because of the excessive heat.

Crack N' Egg :

Hi everyone,

I have a very dear Barred Rock named Tic Tac. She is loved by everyone and is such an affectionate girl. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I removed a bumblefoot scab off of each foot. Everyday I diligently soaked her feet in epsom salt, betadine, and peroxide. Neosporin, and wrapped them up lightly in vetwrap. Surprisingly it stayed clean between changings and it was looking pretty good. Then last thursday I left to go visit my family in VT till Sunday. When I got back my poor Tic Tac is limping and when I unwrapped her feet it didn't look so good. The infection spread. One foot looks a little better then the other. The one that doesn't look good is very swollen. I went to TSC and bought some PenG Procaine 300,000 units/ml, but found out that the state of NJ does not allow sales of syringes. I don't have the time or ability to travel over to the PA border to purchase them. What am I to do? Can I give this stuff orally???

Any suggestions? There is no Poultry vet anywhere in the 50 mile vicinity. Nor do I have the financial ability to do the vet route anyway.

hit.gif

Go to the feed store and buy a dog or puppy shot like 7n1 this comes with a syringe, i know its around 7 dollars but it will get you by 4 now.

Think positive ,she's gona be fine, just keep telling yourself that.. breath in breath out this works for me here and i have many many animal friends here.​

Maybe go to your local vet and beg one off of them? Sometimes they will give you sutures, syringes, stuff like that when you are desperately in need. They buy them bulk anyway.

Crack N' Egg :

Hi everyone,

hit.gif

If you PM me with your details and address and what size syringe you need I will overnight you one!​

Southernbelle wrote:
Did you squeeze the pus and icky stuff out of her feet when you opened the scabs? Here's a long thread on dealing with bumblefoot:

Yes, when I did the surgery on both of her feet I read those posts. I removed, squeezed all the puss out (not pretty) I did it exactly, cleanly and she was doing really well. But being gone for almost 4 full days I wasn't able to change her dressings or soak her.

Thank you zazouse...That is an excellent idea. Thats if they sell that. They may not sell that either due to the syringe. I'll go after my son wakes up from his nap. But does it have dosage lines on it? Will I know how much to put in?​

Hope you can work it out, I saw how hard you have already worked at it. Hoping for the best! Can you get some syringes from a vet clinic? They may be able to sell you some for a pet.

As an aside, I doubt a vet would admit to being one on BYC. He/she would be bombarded with PMs wanting free help.

A lawyer once said he was a lawyer on here. He left after the flood of questions seeking free legal advice.

Back
Top Bottom