Incoming storms this week 4-10-22

Unswydd

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Central Illinois
I'm very worried. I just put my 8 week old Barred Rock chicks out in the coop. And now we've got a huge storm coming in. I'm in Central Illinois. What are the rest of you doing? I'm thinking about moving them in to the Morton Building that they're behind. They're backed up to the outer South wall and that's exactly what direction the storm is coming from tomorrow and most of the week. I did put up a tarp across the lower half of the front which is open but I'm afraid that won't be enough. Should I move them indoors. They have a tote tiped on the side to get away from the weather but with the winds I'm afraid it might tip over. Ugh!!!!!!😩😥😟🥺

Photos, please?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the positioning correctly -- the building is between the coop and the wind or the coop is on the windward side?

Is there any risk of water intruding into the coop?
The front of the coop is facing South, where the wind is coming from, on the backside of the building. On concrete, not my choice! We're not expecting tornados or anything that bad but plenty of wind.
Here's a picture of it. A little dirty from mud splatter while it was waiting for me to rebuild it.
I just checked the weather and they've already taken rain out of the forecast for my area. I guess I'll wait and see.
It is enclosed except for the front. If any water got in it would probably come in from the front south facing entrance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220408_145112_01.jpg
    IMG_20220408_145112_01.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The front of the coop is facing South, where the wind is coming from, on the backside of the building. On concrete, not my choice! We're not expecting tornados or anything that bad but plenty of wind.
Here's a picture of it. A little dirty from mud splatter while it was waiting for me to rebuild it.
I just checked the weather and they've already taken rain out of the forecast for my area. I guess I'll wait and see.
It is enclosed except for the front. If any water got in it would probably come in from the front south facing entrance.

The tarp you mentioned would probably suffice, especially if you brace their sleeping tote with concrete blocks or some such thing to stabilize it.

But if you're more comfortable with the idea it won't do any harm to put them inside overnight to make sure that your arrangements work.

The tarp you mentioned would probably suffice, especially if you brace their sleeping tote with concrete blocks or some such thing to stabilize it.

But if you're more comfortable with the idea it won't do any harm to put them inside overnight to make sure that your arrangements work.
Thank you 3killerbees! I think I'll run out there and do that. It's 6 miles from my house, again not my choice, but doable. Plenty of blocks out there!
It's an empty non-working farm with 2 barns 2 machine sheds and a big beautiful home, which is a shame. 12 acres and no one but my 5 feral cats to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom