Gavrocks

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2017
Hi! I don't know if I'm supposed to post a question, but I'm telling you info. First thing: the fence and coop. Chickens should be in a coop with 2-3 feet of room for each chicken (at least). The coop should provide a safe place to sleep, a place to lay, and a feeder and a water bowl. the coop should have a door that's open, and outside that there should be a fence with four to five square feet of room for each chicken. The fence should be five feet high to keep ground predators out, and so that the chickens can't jump over. also make sure that the fence is secure to the house or all around the coop.

If you have new chicks, to introduce them to the other chickens you should let the chicks sleep with the other chickens at night, and in the morning take them out. do this for a couple of days before you let them in with the rest of the chickens for good. also unclog baby chicks butts; I know someone who had a chick die from but clogging. Also if you have any rooster chicks, check with your neighboorhood or city or town to see if it is legal to have roosters. I'm sorry, I don't know much about chicks so I can't tell you any more.

Also make sure you have a tarp on top of the fence to stop birds of prey from getting in and also a water heater and possibly another heater for the winter.

Chickens should be in a coop with 2-3 feet of room for each chicken (at least). The coop should provide a safe place to sleep, a place to lay, and a feeder and a water bowl. the coop should have a door that's open, and outside that there should be a fence with four to five square feet of room for each chicken. The fence should be five feet high to keep ground predators out, and so that the chickens can't jump over.

As a general rule on here most of us try to encourage more generous space for chickens. So 4 sq ft per chicken inside the coop, 10 sq ft out in the run. More space the better as it cuts down on behavioral problems which can impact the chickens' health and overall quality of life.

Also I can guarantee a 5 foot high fence isn't sufficient to keep many breeds of chickens from "flying the coop." I have a 6 foot fence and had one chicken fly out and another sit on top of the fence. Not a huge problem for me, my run is nowhere close to neighbors and my chickens don't run away, but for many backyard set ups that would be an issue, so in those cases some combination of wing clipping or run covering would have to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom