Is cedar ok for quails?!

Lily_an_the_quails

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2019
ON Canada
Over the past couple months me and my dad have been working on a coop to keep quails in. After a lot of long hard research I learned quite a lot about quail carr and that pine shavings are ok for quails, well cedar is toxic. Somehow it slipped my mind and we are SO close to finishing this beautiful coop and It JUST hit me that me made it almost entirely out of cedar. Can someone please tell me if making a coop with cedar is ok or not. I really hope it's ok because I'm not planning on using cedar as bedding but we are so far along that at this point I dont know what to do. I googled if cedar was toxic and some people said cedar SHAVINGS were toxic well others said it wasn't. I'm not using cedar shavings but the structure is made of cedar since its going to be outside and we live in a cold climate and we dont want it to rot when it rains or just over time.

I'm not using cedar shavings but the structure is made of cedar since its going to be outside and we live in a cold climate and we dont want it to rot when it rains or just over time.
Cedar lumber is usually not of the aromatic type of cedar...should be fine.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Lily_an_the_quails
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-22_8-10-54.png

Of course! Can you post a pic?
Ok so its sorta hard to explain but I took a bunch of pics and as u can probably tell that the sheltered area is mostly done, well the wood frame picture I took has no work done to it at all. Well this is how it works. The frame as you see in the one pic is going to have a small door for easy access but it's also going to be made entirely out of hard wear cloth. We haven't made the ramp going up to the sheltered area, but I have read that some quails dont really know how to use a ramp, but I'm just gunna hope they do. Anyways the ramp leads down to the open area made with wire mesh, and they can go under the coop for shade etc. Also also also I know some people dont put feeders inside the sheltered area but I felt like putting it in there because if we ever have a big storm I know i can just put them in the sheltered area and close the door and they will still have access to the food and water and nesting boxes. We still need to do the roof of the nesting boxes, order the ward wear cloth, make the ramp, and also do the installation. There is going to be ventilation but we haven't got there yet. We are planning on having 3 female coturnix quails to start with. (We aren't using them for meat and we dont want chicks, just infertile eggs to eat)
20191222_093654.jpg

Attachments

• 20191222_093355.jpg
    20191222_093355.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191222_093518.jpg
    20191222_093518.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191222_093545.jpg
    20191222_093545.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191222_093453.jpg
    20191222_093453.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191222_093439.jpg
    20191222_093439.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 36
Cedar lumber is usually not of the aromatic type of cedar...should be fine.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Lily_an_the_quails
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1986170
I just did it.

Is this staying indoors?

I don't see any ventilation.
Could you possibly remove these top two boards, all the way around, and replace them with hardware cloth for ventilation and to let light in?
Screenshot_20191222-090249~2.png

Back
Top Bottom