Isa Brown or Golden Comet?

Lynnski

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Weymouth, MA
I should preface by saying my 6 chicks came from Tractor Supply about 4 weeks ago. I got 1 RI Red, 2 Olive Eggers, 2 Isa Brown and 1 Golden Comet. For now i will trust that they are all girls as they assured me....! (And i think they are older) Buuuut, im pretty sure i got 3 isa's or 3 comets. Ive tried researching to ID them but there is so much variety in both breeds. It doesnt matter to me what they turn out to be but the grands like to name them and it may matter. Thanks for any ideas/help.

Attachments

• face view.JPG
    face view.JPG
    523.6 KB · Views: 17
  • top view.JPG
    top view.JPG
    890.3 KB · Views: 5
  • single side.PNG
    single side.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • single r side.PNG
    single r side.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • single l side.JPG
    single l side.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • single front side.PNG
    single front side.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
ISA Browns and Golden Comets are virtually the same thing and there's not really a way you can tell the difference between the two. Every hatchery has their own recipe for creating Red Sex Links which is why there are so many names for them.

All your chicks appear to be pullets so far.

Golden Comets were a very popular breed here in the West of England a few years ago. Lovely looking hens I think. Very rarely see their male counterpart.
Easy to pick out from most of the other Red Sex Link production hens assuming you have decent examples of the breed which is unlikely from hatchery stock in the US.
Golden Comet.
P5070980.JPG
P5070981.JPG

They tend to be larger than the ISA reds/browns.
Golden Comet at front of picture with some ISAs in the background.
P6221258.JPG

Golden Comet in the midst of ISAs.
P6221259.JPG

Ok this makes sense @Shadrach, it kind reminds me of the learning curve for easter eggers vs amaraucanas (and araucana!).

Yes @Shadrach, when researching the 2 types, i really loved the look of the comet and was hopeful....they are so pretty!

Thanks for the info and pics!

Back
Top Bottom