Jumbo cornish cross personality/character

Airean

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
I'm in for a world of hurt come process day. Ahhh
I am raising Jumbo Cornish cross birds for meat and I have secretly fallen in live with their personalities. Oooops!!!
Since baby chick's they have not been skittish, they are bold, and calm when I have held them. They way they look at me.... none of my RIRs are like that.

I know I cannot keep them due to health reasons and will be processed at 8 or so. But I would like a bird with similar personality. They are crossed with the White Rock, anyone have experience with their personalities and characteristics?

White Rocks are nice. We have a caged male one (so he doesn’t fight with the head rooster at the moment) , and three females. The three females do not cause any problems and get along with everyone.

The male WR isn’t aggressive. But, males will fight, so…that is why he is caged.

Last edited:
I'm in for a world of hurt come process day. Ahhh
I am raising Jumbo Cornish cross birds for meat and I have secretly fallen in live with their personalities. Oooops!!!
Since baby chick's they have not been skittish, they are bold, and calm when I have held them. They way they look at me.... none of my RIRs are like that.

I know I cannot keep them due to health reasons and will be processed at 8 or so. But I would like a bird with similar personality. They are crossed with the White Rock, anyone have experience with their personalities and characteristics?
**fallen in love

They are crossed with the White Rock, anyone have experience with their personalities and characteristics?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Yes.. I love Rocks and the whites are lovely well adapted creatures.

I also love the barred ones and think the partridge are possibly prettiest.

Not quite as calm, or bold and subdued as meaties (especially females), as they are still predator aware, but one of my favorite breeds none the less and well worth trying. Yes.. they DO also give "that special look"! :love

All "food" animals have individual personalities if you spend enough time to become familiar with them and treat them with care.

Hope harvest day goes well! :fl

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Yes.. I love Rocks and the whites are lovely well adapted creatures.

I also love the barred ones and think the partridge are possibly prettiest.

Not quite as calm, or bold and subdued as meaties (especially females), as they are still predator aware, but one of my favorite breeds none the less and well worth trying. Yes.. they DO also give "that special look"! :love

All "food" animals have individual personalities if you spend enough time to become familiar with them and treat them with care.

Hope harvest day goes well! :fl
My love for any animal is by far too much for this world!

I've been through it with having raised I-don't-know-how-many CX's and, yes; they do have great personalities. At 8 to 10 weeks, they're still just babies when it's time to send them to Camp Frigidaire, still squeaky little baby voices coming from massively oversized bodies. No other bird has such a stunning feed:weight gain ratio. They are a crowning achievement of animal husbandry.

My work is right next door to a Sanderson Farms processing plant and I found an escaped CX in the field between us that must've been on the lam for a while. He was full-sized and made adult chicken noises but he was also pretty lean for a CX. He fattened up with my main flock of eggers and I processed him at nearly 15 lbs live weight/11.5 carcass. We left him in the fridge for 2 days in a brine of pickling salt and brown sugar then crockpotted him with carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes on low for 6 hours, rotating him 180* every hour to make sure he cooked evenly.

Toughest chicken I've ever eaten. We ended up shredding him for pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches and taco meat.

Since baby chick's they have not been skittish, they are bold, and calm when I have held them.

After thinking some more about this discussion and the dozens of breeds I've raised and/or worked with over the years and their varying traits and characteristics.. there is one that stands apart in your specific desires stated and that was German Bielefelder! They were fun birds to raise. :thumbsup

They're still kinda heavy breed (part of what adds to the calm demeanor) so not light on the feed bill, and ladies laid late for me.. but autosexing chicks and boys harvested averaged 4# @16 weeks.

Males will fight is a valid statement.. but individuals vary and that's not always factual.. I keep a stag pen that often sports more than 10 cockerels/roosters sometimes up to 25 of both large fowl and bantam together, pecking order is alive and well.. and I NEVER go below 2 roosters if possible in anything I'm breeding. They will also fight between the cage and/or fence if they can see one another and intend to do so.. usually ending with frustrated birds, no clear winner, and sometimes with plenty of wounds. But this is a whole other discussion than the original question and for informational purposes only, not a recommendation. :)

After thinking some more about this discussion and the dozens of breeds I've raised and/or worked with over the years and their varying traits and characteristics.. there is one that stands apart in your specific desires stated and that was German Bielefelder! They were fun birds to raise. :thumbsup

They're still kinda heavy breed (part of what adds to the calm demeanor) so not light on the feed bill, and ladies laid late for me.. but autosexing chicks and boys harvested averaged 4# @16 weeks.

Males will fight is a valid statement.. but individuals vary and that's not always factual.. I keep a stag pen that often sports more than 10 cockerels/roosters sometimes up to 25 of both large fowl and bantam together, pecking order is alive and well.. and I NEVER go below 2 roosters if possible in anything I'm breeding. They will also fight between the cage and/or fence if they can see one another and intend to do so.. usually ending with frustrated birds, no clear winner, and sometimes with plenty of wounds. But this is a whole other discussion than the original question and for informational purposes only, not a recommendation. :)
I've had my eye on the Bielefelder! Next spring I will be adding them and some white rocks for sure

Welcome to BYC.
I love the bielefelders, but they are slow growing. Take a look at Niederrhieners. They are very similar to Bielefelder as far as temperament but they put on weight much faster, lay consistent eggs earlier. At 14 weeks I culled male Niederrhieners having average dressed weight of 4-5 lbs, fed on 20% All Flock.
Brown-pullet, light lemon cuckoo-male.

C0E372E2-FF5B-4B02-A925-7131D4FFBE11.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom