Just Blue Eyes... or Marek's?

Pics. I think i put them on the wrong post an hour ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_155652156~2.jpg
    IMG_20220424_155652156~2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220424_155717641.jpg
    IMG_20220424_155717641.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 4
How old is this little chick? It is my understanding that ocular Mareks disease never occurs before 5 or 6 weeks of age, and usually much later. If she is younger than 6 weeks, I would think this is a birth defect, but not a coloboma. Do the other chicks have pupils as large in the same light?

How old is this little chick? It is my understanding that ocular Mareks disease never occurs before 5 or 6 weeks of age, and usually much later. If she is younger than 6 weeks, I would think this is a birth defect, but not a coloboma. Do the other chicks have pupils as large in the same light?
She's only a couple days old when i bought her, maybe 5 or six days now. I looked up the colobama. It doesn't look like that either. I looked up Marek's eye pics, it doesn't look like that either.
But i also can't imagine there's any blue eyed exotics running around northern Maine.
The other chicks aren't from the same hatching i don't think. They each look very different.
They are all about the same age, i bought all 4 Easter eggers and 2 Americauna pullets at the same time.

The other chicks have normal pupil size in the same light, and normal colors.

I have no brooder yet, i buy my chicks at tractor supply until then.
I do want to start breeding my own. I usually only go for heritage breeds, but i have only 40, and a little extra space, so i thought I'd switch it up some to give the kids some colored eggs.
(I'm an empty nester myself - but i don't eat chicken or eggs so give them all away. There's a lot of little kids in the Family that takes them)
I don't know if this breeder TSC is now using vaccinates against Marek's on day one or not.
I'll be calling today to find out.
I hope it's not something like that.
If so all the chicks in that tank are potentially doomed - including the six beauties i bought and my two baby JG pullets!
Fingers crossed.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to point out for future reference that the chickens pictured didn't have Marek's disease. Chick eyes start out a very dark blue, then lighten to a lighter blue before changing to a green or light yellow before changing to their adult color. This is normal for that age.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to point out for future reference that the chickens pictured didn't have Marek's disease. Chick eyes start out a very dark blue, then lighten to a lighter blue before changing to a green or light yellow before changing to their adult color. This is normal for that age.
Thank you for posting this! I’ve been so worried because I’ve just brought home a chick with blue eyes and inteoduced her to our existing flock! Felt sick in my tummy

Back
Top Bottom