Large Black Bird Killing Chickens

vtfarmgirl123

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Recently I've seen 1-2 large black birds, of what species I don't know, around my yard and barnyard. From their looks I've guessed that they're ravens. We have free-range chickens and have never had a problem before, but ever since those birds appeared, chickens have been getting killed. Often times I find them laying in the yard with only a little section of them eaten. also, we have free-range rabbits and they managed to kill one of those as well, also only eating a small section. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Is it legal to kill that type of bird? Help please! Thank you!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

You are in sketchy territory here. If the "big blacks birds" you are referring to are crows then you can start shooting at will, but if they are ravens then they are a protected species and you have no recourse in dealing with them. Birds protected under the Migratory Bird Act are off limits. You need to be proactive in your protection of your birds because you can do nothing to actively interfere with protected species.

Back
Top Bottom