Leg color genetics; white slate?!

Folly's place

Addict
12 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
I posted on the EE bantam thread, and now here i am with a chick from Cackle that has this leg color. he's handsome anyway, and I'd like help in deciding how this leg color in particular might play out. My tiny group of EE bantams has slate legs, and shades of gray feathering, and it appeals to me. This guy is interesting though, so what do you all think, moving forward?
IMG_1459.jpg

Mary

Please explain, how "hard on Ameraucanas"? I've just never seen this shank color before, and am curious. I do like the EE bantams I have with slate legs, and plan to continue with them. This bird is a suprise, coming with a very small group of EE bantams from Cackle, with either green of slate legs, as expected.
Mary

Thank you for the explanation, it does make sense.
I'm not producing Ameraucanas, but EEs, so 'breed standards' are pretty irrelevant, as good looking bantams producing blue/ aqua eggs are my goals. If I use this cockerel over my slate legged females, I'm going to loose the slate legs, some or all of the time?!
Mary

Thank you for the explanation, it does make sense.
I'm not producing Ameraucanas, but EEs, so 'breed standards' are pretty irrelevant, as good looking bantams producing blue/ aqua eggs are my goals. If I use this cockerel over my slate legged females, I'm going to loose the slate legs, some or all of the time?!
Mary
That cockerel has slate shanks, it just paler than normal so if you cross it to your slate shanked hens the outcome will be regular or perhaps somewhat lighter

I admit to thinking that he's a handsome dude, and unusual, and probably will keep him 'on trial', unless he develops 'personality issues'. This batch of six EE bantams from Cackle gave us one pullet, who at least has slate legs, and a cockerel like her, and then this one.
We'll see how things go integrating these new birds into the group.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom