Lemon's Dog Adventure!

Do you like the name Bridgette?

• Total voters
She is adorable! And that name suits her!!
For toy options
All kong toys(especially the wild knots they got Denver through her puppy stage and she absolutely loves them!)
The kongs that you can stuff treats in are good to. And the wobble one.
Bark toys are really good to, you can get them at petsmart.
Ive always played tug with mine, never had a aggressive issues, some you have to watch as they try and move their mouth while playing. I use longer tug ropes, but for puppies use small ones.

She will need tons of socializing if you want her to suceed. Make sure she has her vaccines before. Goldens have a good personality but not all. With Tucker he needed less socializing because it overwhelmed him. Making him more scared. But Denver needed loved going everywhere.
Just because Goldens have a good personality online doesnt mean there are bad personalities in goldens.
If your looking for treats and chew i would recommend
Happy Howies raw treats
Also i like dehydrated chicken and lamb
Water buffalo bones
Himalyan chews
Or bully sticks.
Also get a toothbrush and lots of brushes so she is use to that.
Also to add a Outward hounds invincible toys. They are really good. Tucker usally can destroy a toy in minutes. But he has had a stuffed lamb and the invincible giraffe for awhile without a hole in them

I went to the store and got her a few things, though I'll probably get some more once I figure out what she likes!

This is what I have for her so far:
A crate (I'll get a bigger one as she grows)
Donut-shaped bed
Food and water bowls
X-pen
Toys (nylabones, a GoDog dinosaur with a squeaker, a puppy Kong and a more tough one, and a fish shaped Benebone [Guide dog for the blind pups loved that])
Reusable and disposable pee pads and poop bags
Small-ish plain collar for now
Training leash
Shampoo
Brushes
Enzyme cleaner

I probably have other stuff I'm forgetting as well

I still need to get her some more of the dog food she's already on, a toothbrush and toothpaste, high-reward treats for training, a bait bag, and a more 'normal' leash.

Anything important I'm missing right now? I know I won't use all of these supplies immediately. I'm excited!

I went to the store and got her a few things, though I'll probably get some more once I figure out what she likes!

Donut-shaped bed
Food and water bowls
X-pen
Toys (nylabones, a GoDog dinosaur with a squeaker, a puppy Kong and a more tough one, and a fish shaped Benebone [Guide dog for the blind pups loved that])
Training leash
Shampoo
Brushes
Enzyme cleaner

I still need to get her some more of the dog food she's already on, a toothbrush and toothpaste, high-reward treats for training, a bait bag, and a more 'normal' leash.

Anything important I'm missing right now? I know I won't use all of these supplies immediately. I'm excited!

I'm sooo excited for you! Any chance you'll try showing in the future? May I ask what she's on?

Congrats @Lemon-Drop! Its great that you all ready have so much experience with puppies and SD prospects! Something I wish I had when I started looking to train my own AD/SD:th

That’s a myth. I’ve always played tug with all my dogs and it’s never once caused aggression or any issues. In fact, it’s great exercise and fun for them.
Yes! I play tug with my aggression prone breed dogs, it gives them an outlet for their natural behaviour

another common myth is sticking your hand into the dogs food to prevent resource guarding. It doesn’t prevent it if the dog was never going to resource guard then it does nothing but if the dogs is prone to resource guarding it can cause them to start. And absolutely never punish your dog for communicating (growling,baring teeth, etc) otherwise they will skip the communication and go straight for something that will work
Also to add a Outward hounds invincible toys. They are really good. Tucker usally can destroy a toy in minutes. But he has had a stuffed lamb and the invincible giraffe for awhile without a hole in them
Outward hound toys have been the longest lasting ones here! One of the favourites is a long snake. Kong stuffed toys are also good but not as good as the outward hound

Congrats @Lemon-Drop! Its great that you all ready have so much experience with puppies and SD prospects! Something I wish I had when I started looking to train my own AD/SD:th

Yes! I play tug with my aggression prone breed dogs, it gives them an outlet for their natural behaviour

another common myth is sticking your hand into the dogs food to prevent resource guarding. It doesn’t prevent it if the dog was never going to resource guard then it does nothing but if the dogs is prone to resource guarding it can cause them to start. And absolutely never punish your dog for communicating (growling,baring teeth, etc) otherwise they will skip the communication and go straight for something that will work

Outward hound toys have been the longest lasting ones here! One of the favourites is a long snake. Kong stuffed toys are also good but not as good as the outward hound
Yeah my boy is a pit mix and he loves tug lol also the sweetest boy ever.

IMG_4028.jpeg

Donut-shaped bed
Food and water bowls
X-pen
Training leash
Shampoo
Brushes
Enzyme cleaner

Great! I think those supplies are good for now

So what can we do to help resource guarding

Back
Top Bottom