Marans Owners -- anything "bad" about this breed?

Quote:
Its really tough to talk quality at this point in time because they are going to change a lot before they are 6 months old. The interesting part I see is that the cockerels head is noticeably darker than the body feathering. I am really interested in how he colors out as he matures because I have a pullet that has that issue... I would be inclined first impression is that there is a color pattern trying to come out. Though what color variety I am unclear on at this time.

Because there is no variety that shows a black head on a cock it goes to prove that it is a color pattern for another variety is showing through. He has a bit too much leg feathering for the standard but his babies would be fine if he were placed with clean or lightly feathered legged hens. Too much feathering "can" result in feathering down the middle toe which is a disqualification.

Let us see what he looks like in say 3 or 4 months.

They look pretty good right now.

Arklady

Marans in this country are not raised to egg color, that the problem. Now , having said that , there are breeders that are doing their utmost to improve egg coloring in the breed. The APA does not include egg production, coloring etc, in their standards, and in some breeds thats a shame.

An example, Leghorns, there was a letter from the President of the American leghorn society, published in the Poultry Press, several years ago, emphasizing to its members the importance of trying to maintain egg size and production in the leghorn breed. Why, because its the breed that most production egg laying breeds sprang from and eventually the commercial breeds will need a new "shot" of generic material.

Line breeding, is the best and quickest way to produce esthetically pleasing birds, however, one of the first effects you see from to much line breeding is a drop in egg production and size.

The Marans eggs I purchased , were no darker in color than the eggs my Ideal hatchery Welsumers produced. The Welsumers from Ideal were alot less costly than the Marans.

I still intend to work with Marans , but I hope to join the ranks of those breeders trying to improve the American stain by concentrating on egg coloring first, and then body style and feathering.

OK done preaching now.
smack.gif

Last edited:
Hey everyone!!

I want to get some Maran chicks, however I've heard that if you get them from a feed store they don't lay the real dark eggs as they don't come from the correct lines. Is this true?

Mark

I have heard that is true. If you post your location possibly you will find someone local that has nice, dark laying lines. Either that or post on your local craigslist that you are looking for quality marans. Be prepared to open your wallet quite a bit wider than for feed store chicks however. Good marans hens are still pretty pricey around here. Not sure how prices are by you. If you are good at incubating or have a broody, maybe your best bet would be to find a local breeder that sells eggs.

Quote:
I can identify with that! I got 12 B.C. Marans chicks this spring and ended up with only 2 hens. Fortunately all the extra roosters sold to breeding homes and I didn't have to butcher them (although they were big and plump!). I kept 2 roosters, who get along well, and Pierre generously allows Marcel to have one hen! Marans are said to have a high male to female hatch ratio, and I believe it!

Back
Top Bottom