Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I just got my 1st Marans a couple wks ago: 1 Black Copper from TSC & 1 Cuckoo from Kahoots (both from Privett Hatchery). I got them both the same wknd and believe they were hatched the same day, as the 2 stores got them the same day. Here's the thing: the Cuckoo is WAY bigger, now. Is this normal? Are BCMs typically smaller than Cuckoos? I assumed they'd be the same size but different colors. but, as I said, this is my 1st experience with Marans, so I based that off of nothing.

I just got my 1st Marans a couple wks ago: 1 Black Copper from TSC & 1 Cuckoo from Kahoots (both from Privett Hatchery). I got them both the same wknd and believe they were hatched the same day, as the 2 stores got them the same day. Here's the thing: the Cuckoo is WAY bigger, now. Is this normal? Are BCMs typically smaller than Cuckoos? I assumed they'd be the same size but different colors. but, as I said, this is my 1st experience with Marans, so I based that off of nothing.

Depends on the breeder. It is possible. Also, just like kids some can grow a little faster. :) The little one could be eating less. I had that issue with a Silkie.

Typically, American cuckoo Marans from hatchery stock are clean legged English cuckoo Marans. There's a long story about the difference between English and French Marans, but the short version is that the English breeders focused on production and liked the clean legged look, while French breeders focused on egg color and liked featherlegged birds.

You know what, nevermind. They sold me the wrong breed! They accidently snuck me a bantam instead of a BCM!

You know what, nevermind. They sold me the wrong breed! They accidently snuck me a bantam instead of a BCM!
upload_2019-3-20_13-32-45.png

It sure looks like a BCM, though! Doesn't it?

Hi everyone,
I have purchased 2 dozen "pure bred maran" eggs (I honestly didnt ask either lady what type of maran) from two different back yard chicken owners that live in my area. The eggs look beautiful, if not super dark- with a ton of speckles in them. Is this unusual? When I see maran eggs advertised they usually are solid colour. (I love speckles, so I dont car, I just want to be prepared ... lol .. for the chance that I dont have pure Marans...) They both said their Marans were only in with a Marans rooster... but you know...
The back row (furthest right) are from my welsummers

If they are pure bred, will males all have a head spot at birth? or can I look at wing feathers when they come in to tell gender?

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone,
I have purchased 2 dozen "pure bred maran" eggs (I honestly didnt ask either lady what type of maran) from two different back yard chicken owners that live in my area. The eggs look beautiful, if not super dark- with a ton of speckles in them. Is this unusual? When I see maran eggs advertised they usually are solid colour. (I love speckles, so I dont car, I just want to be prepared ... lol .. for the chance that I dont have pure Marans...) They both said their Marans were only in with a Marans rooster... but you know...
The back row (furthest right) are from my welsummers

If they are pure bred, will males all have a head spot at birth? or can I look at wing feathers when they come in to tell gender?
Unless they carry barring genes, there will be no sexlinked headspots. My marans will lay both solid and darkly spotted eggs within the same flock. Marans are not really easily sexable unless they are cuckoo or golden cuckoo because those are the barred varieties and males will have noticeable coloration differences, but otherwise there's not much to go on.

Hello, I am wondering if two of my cuckoo marans are really cuckoo marans. The males are very barred, just like everyone else's but the females look completely different, to me they look more like black marans...anyone have thoughts?

Here is what I think is a hen cuckoo maran:
azpuZV9.jpg

Here she is near one of the male cuckoo marans:
pHRSOlr.jpg

I received 5. Three are completely barred and are roosters. Two appear to be hens and both look exactly as pictured above.

Is that a cuckoo or a black copper maran?

Back
Top Bottom