Muscovy duck losing weight

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
My 2.5 year old darling Muscovy, Cheech, has me a little concerned. She’s been molting for a couple of months, which obviously takes a lot of energy, but now that winter is settling in, she’s much more fatigued than normal and she’s lost a lot of weight - like 2-3 pounds. Her caruncle looks healthy as do her new feathers and I can’t find any sign of illness. She’s eating less, but still eating, and drinking as normal. She seems to be a little off balance when she tries to scratch her head but is sleeping on one leg often at night.

We had a duck pass this week totally unexpectedly and are waiting for necropsy results, but she had no symptoms; it was literally a total surprise from 1 hour of normalcy to the next, so I don’t think it was anything spreadable. My other ducks are all fine, including my other Muscovy, who is also molting. She hasn’t lost any weight and is not nearly as fatigued.

Any ideas or tips for what I could do to help her?

I saw this a couple of days ago in a rush, so I didn't have time to answer. Has anything else happened since then? Has she gotten worse or better?

I saw this a couple of days ago in a rush, so I didn't have time to answer. Has anything else happened since then? Has she gotten worse or better?
My poor baby Cheech passed away on Thursday night. The necropsy showed she had egg yolk peritonitis that had gone septic pretty quickly. There were very few signs in the days before. Of course I am beating myself up for not figuring it out and bringing her to the vet but in all likelihood it would have been too late to make a difference. She was my first love and I am beyond devastated. It will be hard to ever move on from her.

My poor baby Cheech passed away on Thursday night. The necropsy showed she had egg yolk peritonitis that had gone septic pretty quickly. There were very few signs in the days before. Of course I am beating myself up for not figuring it out and bringing her to the vet but in all likelihood it would have been too late to make a difference. She was my first love and I am beyond devastated. It will be hard to ever move on from her.
OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so sorry! It's not your fault, thing do happen and sometimes it's extremely hard to recognize or treat them.

OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so sorry! It's not your fault, thing do happen and sometimes it's extremely hard to recognize or treat them.
It’s hard to forgive myself completely because she had lost weight and was being a little odd… but she has always gone into an isolationist phase when she molted, as she was doing, and I chalked up the weight loss to molting during a cold spell and energy going into feathers and heat production etc. she was eating and drinking as normal. Hindsight is 20/20 of course and if I could go back I would have taken her to the vet on Tuesday when I recognized the weight loss but I do think 48 hours would not have been enough time to drastically improve the condition. I am grieving her and will do so for a long time.

It’s hard to forgive myself completely because she had lost weight and was being a little odd… but she has always gone into an isolationist phase when she molted, as she was doing, and I chalked up the weight loss to molting during a cold spell and energy going into feathers and heat production etc. she was eating and drinking as normal. Hindsight is 20/20 of course and if I could go back I would have taken her to the vet on Tuesday when I recognized the weight loss but I do think 48 hours would not have been enough time to drastically improve the condition. I am grieving her and will do so for a long time.
My condolences to you and the rest of your/her family ❤️

Sorry for your loss. We are going through egg peritonitis with our muscovy. I'm thinking sepsis and wondered did you notice a change in the colour of Bill? At first mine was a blood spot appearing and now beak is blue. Feet are pale and eyes dirty pink

Back
Top Bottom