My chicks walked right up to a hawk (it did not end well)

calamity_jen

Hatching
May 3, 2024
At what point can I expect chicks to know to stay away from a hawk? I was putting my 4wk chicks in a welded wire enclosure with 1"x1" openings for a week or so without issue. In the time it took us to eat dinner, our resident hawk got two of them through the fence. I suspect they poked their heads through to peck her like they do the dog.

I'm fortifying the temporary enclosure to guarantee the hawk won't be able to access them again, no matter how bold/suicidal the chicks may be. However, I have to move them to the permanent coop/run eventually. I planned to later utilize tractors/tunnels to give them more room to roam the yard, but I wasn't planning to cover everything in 1/4" hardware cloth and/or double fences.

The hawk is here every single day. She's not going anywhere. I have to assume she will absolutely try her luck standing next to the fence again. When can I reliably expect my chicks not to walk right up to a predator and get eaten through a fence?

Thanks!

When can I reliably expect my chicks not to walk right up to a predator and get eaten through a fence?
Well, I suspect that if they are curious of hawks now, they will always be. But, they are chicks. Chicks are babies and they are naturally curious. Perhaps as they grow older they will learn. Maybe since the other chicks saw their siblings getting taken, they are more scared now? Those are just my thoughts. To help prevent that in the future I suggest getting chicken wire with smaller holes:
1714866237949.png
1714866260161.png

The one above is what I use.

At what point can I expect chicks to know to stay away from a hawk? I was putting my 4wk chicks in a welded wire enclosure with 1"x1" openings for a week or so without issue. In the time it took us to eat dinner, our resident hawk got two of them through the fence. I suspect they poked their heads through to peck her like they do the dog.

I'm fortifying the temporary enclosure to guarantee the hawk won't be able to access them again, no matter how bold/suicidal the chicks may be. However, I have to move them to the permanent coop/run eventually. I planned to later utilize tractors/tunnels to give them more room to roam the yard, but I wasn't planning to cover everything in 1/4" hardware cloth and/or double fences.

The hawk is here every single day. She's not going anywhere. I have to assume she will absolutely try her luck standing next to the fence again. When can I reliably expect my chicks not to walk right up to a predator and get eaten through a fence?

Thanks!
Sorry about your chicks…

1/2” hardware is the largest opening you want to have for chicks (and for big hens, too, if you really want to keep them safe. Otherwise, when they are full grown, you could use 1” welded wire (or maybe it’s 2”, can’t remember).

I use 1/4 in. hardware cloth on my pens. Ain't taken no chances with anything that can slither or slip through small openings.

Use this info as you wish, 1/4" didn't stop a coon from taking one of my pullets. This was brand new 23 gauge on a new run. Pulled the welds apart in the center. I only use 1/2" or thicker wire now. I don't trust 1/4 " much more than standard chicken wire. It's possible it could have been a bad batch, but the little extra cost is a little more security and peace of mind,👍

Use this info as you wish, 1/4" didn't stop a coon from taking one of my pullets. This was brand new 23 gauge on a new run. Pulled the welds apart in the center. I only use 1/2" or thicker wire now. I don't trust 1/4 " much more than standard chicken wire. It's possible it could have been a bad batch, but the little extra cost is a little more security and peace of mind,👍
So is 1/2 thicker than 1/4? Or does it depend on the gauge? I don't know the difference between different types of hardware fabric - I just buy the 25ft rolls of 1/2in at Lowes.

So is 1/2 thicker than 1/4? Or does it depend on the gauge? I don't know the difference between different types of hardware fabric - I just buy the 25ft rolls of 1/2in at Lowes.
1/4" is 23 gauge. 1/2" is 19 gauge... It's thicker.
The gauge is the thickness of wire used. For instance, your standard chain link fencing is 9 gauge.

Back
Top Bottom