Necrotic tissue please help

mifahmifah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Mississippi
I have a previous thread about my hen who suffered a dog attack. The wound is very bad, most skin on left side from middle of Breast to thigh was ripped off, but there is some remaining skin that is hanging here and there, one bit is laying in top of a deep gash in her thigh. The front of her breast is ripped, leaving an open pocket and lots of skin hanging. There's a bit of an odor. The skin is white and the feathers are starting to fall out??? She is on clindamycin ( today is day 2 of antibiotics ) and I'm giving her aspirin 2 times a day. She's eating and drinking but just stopped laying. I'm leaving to wound moist and open to breathe. Rinsing entire wound every night with betadine tea, spraying vetricyn, and packing with neosporin. She's eating her regular crumbles, plus a boiled egg with chopped garlic, vit e, and a bit of honey each day. Poor girl smells like garlic bread now!
When giving her antibiotic I'm mixing it with 5 kibbles of catfood, 5 mealworms and a few drops of yogurt... It's the only way I can get it into her...

My question is:::::
Will the dying tissue fall off?
Should we try to remove it ourselves?
If so how?
How can I get rid of it as I think it's getting in the way and delaying her healing?
Should I just let it stay this way??

Thank you so much for all of your help!
She's a dear pet and a chatty affectionate little hen. A favorite of my 3 year old who likes to carry her around and swing with her...
She's a good chicken girl!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm unfamiliar with this type of wound management, especially one so severe.
Thank you all

If dead tissue is dry it will fall off on it's own. If the dead tissue becomes moist it is more likely to develop gangrene. Dead tissue has no feeling in it an can be cut away if it is interfering in healing. Odor is not good, that is a big signal for infection likely gangrene.

Giving ASA and vit E, both will "thin" the blood making it harder to clot and stop bleeding.

How old are these injuries?

She isn't bleeding at all, and it wasn't bleeding at the time of injury. This happened Saturday morning. Since then she's getting rinsed with betadine and coated in neosporin and vetricyn daily. The skin that's hanging is kind of white and mushy. Some of the feathers are sliding out. It doesn't smell that strongly, but it does smell a bit off in some areas...
It doesn't have that "rotten" smell or anything?
It just looks... Dead?

Remove tissue if it appears to be infected/dead/smells as this could cause infection to spread. Post a photo of wounds if possible.

Last edited:
If any of her wounds start to smell,switch the bentadine tea for a hydrogen peroxide flush,do once a day. Peroxide flush is 2 Tablespoons to 1 cup of warm water,can be made stronger if needed.

Last edited:
It doesn't have an odor, all I can really smell is garlic??? I will ease up on the chopped garlic as it could be masking an odor...

I took some pics of tissue we removed tonight, it was hanging off... There is still a bit more but it's stuck to her side so I don't want to move it until it starts to come off??
I forgot to get more pics the wound but can post those tomorrow! Sorry!

Tonight we sat her in a bowl of warm betadine tea and let her soak for a few min, then rinsed it, sprayed and put neosporin on.

I am concerned she may be getting the runny poops...
Still hadn't laid :( Is that normal for this situation?

Thank you!!!

Big skin flap, we cut it with sterile scissors. Also removed some of the feathers that were getting into it.

Those are soggy bits of bread on the towel, I try to offer soggy treats so she will associate the process with goodies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom