Need goat help please

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
I MAY be getting a goat. I don't know kind, age, nothing. Just trying to help a friend in a nasty situation.
If the goat is tied out to where it can eat any and all vegetation it could possibly want, does it also need goat chow?

Sherry, you can check out goat websites - just google goat forums and you will find websites similar to this one. HOWEVER! According to them, they want you to have minerals, baking soda, BOSS, chow, etc, etc, etc.

It's not that complicated. If your goat can free range (you'll tie him up?? He won't be happy - will probably complain loudly, especially if he is all alone. They like company, but that's another paragraph), you can give him some goat chow, but NOT ALOT! Maybe a cup a day. You don't want him to get "bloat". I do recommend you have baking soda available free choice. Baking soda is like tums to goats, and since they have 4 stomachs, it will help them burp, fart, and digest their food.

Don't mean to go on and on. Good luck.

Here are pictures of my two pygmy goats, Ginger and Billy:

farm137.jpg

The goat has not been with any other goats for at least a year, but has bonded with a duck. I am supposed to get the duck on Monday. I left a message for my friend that I will take the goat too if she wants. I may be jumping the gun, but want to be prepared.
My place isn't fenced and I have 50+ acres and I wouldn't want to chase it all over creation.
Can a goat live in the chicken yard with the chickens?

i have my 15 pygmys living in the barns with the chickens no problems. just dont let them eat all of the chicken feed as this is not good for them. it is really a good idea to get 2 of them as they are a herd animal and would be a lot happier. what kind of goat is it bob

A goat will eat every shrub, bush or flower, plus tree bark in it's sight. I love goats, in their place. But, just to warn you. I would never keep one tethered out, no more than I would a pony, horse or sheep. It's dangerous for them and they don't like it. I hope you can work something out as goats can be a gentle , affectionate animal. Merry

Back
Top Bottom