Nesting boxes for Muscovy ducks?

My Muscovies wont use a nesting box, they make their own nest in the corner of the duck house. I have nesting boxes attached but they use them to poop in which is great cos it keeps the rest of the house clean. I dont know if everyones Muscovies are the same but it works for me. My drake sleeps in a separate house and he poops where he sleeps but my girls dont seem to
smile.png

My muscovies are free ranged but they make their own nest away from the house and away from where I would think to look and man are they protective of those eggs.

This is "Willemina's" nest :) First she started laying in a burrow of grass. We had to move the eggs into the duck house as we lock them up over night and I didn't want her kept from her eggs. We gave her an armful of hay and she did the rest herself!

This isn't a very good picture of it but I use cat crates minus the door for my muscovies.
I have a large coop that they stay in at night and I put these in the corners. They tend to like dark, small spaces. I put hay in them and the ducks do the rest!
But keep in mind that if you free range them, your hens are likely to make a nest and lay outside. I had one make a nest in the rocks that are around the base of the foundation of my house! She had 9 eggs before I finally found it (the nest was behind a piece of plywood that was leaning against the house). I took the eggs out and put down hay for her them put the eggs back. She ended up laying 3 more and I had 10 beautiful babies hatch 3 1/2 weeks ago :)

Back
Top Bottom