New Baby Chicks......

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Hello everyone, so I just got 4 Buff Orpington pullet chicks from Tractor Supply. They are 4-5 days old. And I have a few questions:
(1) Right now, I have a 65 watt bulb. I read that they need 80-100 watt. and I plan on getting one right away, but right now they seem content, and aren't acting cold (soft cheeping, eating, and drinking and walking around). Is this enough, or should I get a higher wattage?
2) One of the chicks seems a bit unstable as she walks. It doesn't look like she had splay leg, but she seems a little weaker than the the other. She also stretches out her neck as if she's choking, I heard that's a sign of gapeworm, but is it too early for them to get parasites? If not, what is the reason for this?
I would really appreciate some answers and helpful advice! Thanks!

1) Go by their behavior. If they're not huddled together under the light and not crying out in distress, and are instead moving around the entire brooder area and sleeping comfortably wherever, then they're warm enough.
2) Sorry, no idea, hopefully someone who has experienced something similar can fill in.

1) Go by their behavior. If they're not huddled together under the light and not crying out in distress, and are instead moving around the entire brooder area and sleeping comfortably wherever, then they're warm enough.
2) Sorry, no idea, hopefully someone who has experienced something similar can fill in.
Thank you! Right now they seem to be doing fine. Would it be good to put a thermometer in the box so I know what temperature it is? I read that the ideal temp. is around 95 degrees for the first week, then to raise it gradually as they get older.

A thermometer is helpful but I admit I never used one. Personally feel that the "95F for first week, 5 degrees less per week after" guideline is overly cautious and chicks do just as well, if not better, with a more aggressive approach.

I raise chicks outdoors without ambient heat (I use a mama heating pad) so the air temp has been as low as mid 40s for 2-3 day old chicks, but they can warm themselves up under the heating pad. What that taught me was chicks do not need nearly the amount of warmth that we think they do - they need the option to warm up, but certainly don't need to spend all day in hotter temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom