New Feathers on Chicks

duckies5

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I just got two baby Chicks. Both Females, one Welsummer, and one Ameraucana.

I was wondering when do chicks start getting thier first feathers?

And also do you have to feed a medicated feed to adults? I don't think you do, but I am unsure.

Any comments would help, thanks!

Chicks will start feathering around 2 weeks or so

no you do not have to feed medicated to the adults. you don't HAVE to feed it to the chicks, some people don't and do just fine. Some people don't like to give their chickens ANY medication. Mine got the medicated starter for the first 3 weeks and are now on a grower.

oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. =]
My baby chicks just started getting thier new feathers.

The first week their wing feathers come in more. 2nd week you wil notice tail feathers and shoulder feathers. 3rd week feathers on the chest show up and they are getting back feathers. 4th week they will almost look completely feathered accept the head area. Toward the end of this week you will notice the head feathers filling in. By week 5 pretty much all the kiddie feathers are in and no more baby fuzz.

Ofcourse there are some that feather slower but usually the first month you really get to watch them go through a big transformation.

Ooo, thanks BooBear; that lets me know what to expect in the coming weeks.

Mine are two weeks today and it's fascinating how some of them are way ahead of others, even within a breed. I keep telling Little Red not to be upset...some girls just mature faster than others. God, I hope she's not a roo...

big_smile.png
Part of the fun is watching them transform. Hopeful you just have a slow developing girl. However as a general rule it is usually the boys that are slower to get feathers.

Boo Bear,
you called the feathering process just exactly how it it...you are right on. My rhode island reds are at fifth week and are getting the head feathers in. the polish I have of course did get they head feathers a week before the reds. thanks for the info...

Well, about medicated feed it's either you can or decide not to. I on the other hand do not use medicated feed just so they don't get immune to the ingredients when I do have a serious problem. That way if they get... say Cocci I don't have to go out and buy the big guns, just medicated feed.
There's pros and cons but I can honestly say they do just fine on either.

Happy to help and
welcome-byc.gif
Strader

I do feed the medicated chick start to the chicks till they are 8 weeks then switch over to the growers feed.
Once the girls lay their first egg I switch them to Layers.

Back
Top Bottom