New roo attacked/fought fox while inside coop run, got bit under wing. Cleaning/treating wound. Will oregano oil in water act as antibiotic?

Vanish1687

Hatching
May 6, 2024
Ok. This sucks. First, this is both my first encounter with any physically injured animal and using BYC. Normally use reddit but believe there is better knowledge here.

What can I use/put in water to act as an antibiotic and help with a wound? I have oregano oil capsules and wondering if I should open one up and mixed it in water.

I have a new rooster I just rehomed who got bit under his wing while inside the coop run, by a fox outside. I lost my rooster 2 days ago to this fox, and got this guy that night. This was his second night with me and refused to go inside and was perched in the run. I went to the store and came back to him acting psycho. Thought the car really scared him while he was sleeping.

No. I walk over to feathers all over the place outside of the coop by the corner. I guess he tried to fight the fox while inside. He just seemed really startled and nervous, then I started petting him and saw the bloody skin under his wing.

I have a weakness and this is it. Broken skin is fine, but this is under the wing and there's bone and I'm assuming death and completely can't look at it. Probably pathetic on my part, but I am freaked out. Afraid to hurt him.

I did reading on here as an avian vet is not an option because one doesn't exist. We have medicated prescription antibiotic cleaning pads that were for a dog that I had my boyfriend clean him with last night. This morning I got vetericyn and used it.
Plan is to clean, spray, treat with neosporin or some other ointment, several times a day. He is inside, separated, in the infirmary basement coop.
So is it possible to medicate the water with something, besides just topically cleaning and treating the injury? I immediately thought of oregano and then realized I have capsules, no oil itself.

Read some surprising miracle stories so I went from assuming death to having some hope.
If I didn't look under the wing, I wouldn't have known.

I do a moderate amount of herbal work. Oil of Oregano is a very good tool in the arsenal. I follow an herbal veterinarian (Dr. Patrick Jones) who uses it. The topical oil is likely the fastest and probably best way to apply. I understand that may be difficult, but I'd still try.

You can likely get the essential oil version at your local grocery or department store.

Oregano oil would be a good solution to aid healing/killing bacteria. If you get oregano essential oil (very concentrated version), you will need to dilute it in a carrier oil (~2 drops/teaspoon). Preferably olive oil. It also helps with wound healing and pain relief. I'd apply it a couple of time/day.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to mix oregano (fresh if possible) into his food, but that will likely have a secondary effect on his wounds and help more internally to minimize infection chances.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Had a chicken bit pretty badly by a dog, and we just cleaned twice daily with sterile saline in a spray bottle and coated the wound with Neosporin Original (no pain reliever) ointment, then sprayed with Veterycin gel. It was a deep wound on her back about the size of a half dollar and was completely healed in about three weeks. Good luck to you and your rooster!

Back
Top Bottom