New to forum with a Dove question...

KrysKritters

Hatching
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Hello, I am new to your forum. I own a White dove, "Hope" I see a lot of you have outdoor coops... am I the only one that keeps my dove indoors? I have a large cage, 4'x4 and 3 deep... I also allow her to free fly in the house daily. Hope is the first friendly bird I have ever interacted with, let alone owned. She is approx 3 months old, according to the breeder but I have no idea. She has started to try to coo very softly, you can barely hear it. I hope her voice gets stronger! I was also told she is a female but I have no idea.
I have an outdoor flight cage (5'x4'x4') that I move her to when the weather is nice and I am outside to watch her... she was out there twice last week for the first time. However, all of a sudden today I notice a black "growth" on the side of her head, under her feathers. At first I thought she somehow got poop in her feathers but after a closer look, it looks like a scab or growth of some sort. I researched online and read about Pigeon Pox... it kind fits the description? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? What should I do?
Thanks...
~Krys

Lots of folks do have doves inside, its just that others like to goive them more flying time and more of a Wild life... If you only saw one scab i would think it was probably just a boo boo , possibly a feather had gotten caught on something and she had to pull it out... Post some pics and some of the Dove folks on here will chime in im sure...

OH BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Ours have been inside as well, & I have seen when poop gets on a small patch of feathers, sometimes they willpluck em out & leave asore looking spot. If it's only 1 spot maybe that's it. Good luck!Doves are great pets!

I would have a dove or two inside, but I breathe in enough pigeon dust as it is, haha
lol.png
The males are much more vocal than the hens. I've only heard a couple "laughs" out of my hens.
The scab is probably not pox if it's black. More than likely dried blood, probably from a little fight or broken blood feathers.

Back
Top Bottom