Newly hatched chick severely prolapsed vent *graphic*

RooJi

Songster
8 Years
Oct 21, 2014
California
Hello everyone I had a freshly hatched chick (still wet from hatching) with, what appears to be, a severely prolapsed vent. There is some blood and two protrusions. Any advise as to how I can support this little one?

Attachments

• 51D2A516-9550-46D9-BF91-FB3D3989C6A8.jpeg
    51D2A516-9550-46D9-BF91-FB3D3989C6A8.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 66
They are still alive and are moving around. Also I was so focused on the prolapse before that I didn’t see that the chicks feet are not properly formed either :( the toes are a bit nubby with no nails and slightly curled. What could cause this?

Hatching issues from humidity or temperatures can affect feet. Pictures of the feet and legs may be helpful. I recommend giving vitamin B complex tablet crushed into a spoonful of water, or chick or baby vitamins. Some foot issues may be treated with taping the toes into the normal position for a day or two. Are you certain the prolapse is the. vent or the umbilical? Keep the prolapse moist with Triple antibiotic ointment. That chick may die, but you can try to treat it.

@Eggcessive
Ok I will take a picture of the feet once they have had a bit of a chance to sleep! Where can I get a bcomplex? As for it being the vent vs the umbilical cord I will check again as well when I go to take photos of the toes!

Back
Top Bottom