Nine one day old chicks. I have no idea what breeds they are. Any ideas??

Catwmn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Willis, TX
I just hatched 9 eggs in my Hovabator genesis for the first time ever. Had a 100% hatch rate which is AWESOME. However, I have no idea what kind of birds I have. I collected eggs from random friends who have large flocks of multiple breeds of chickens. Does anyone have any ideas as to what these look like??
Thanks!!

chick 1: I think this one is a Production Red. My neighbor gave me one of his eggs to hatch and it supposedly came from a production red hen. Big beautiful brown egg. This is the LARGEST chick to hatch.

Chick 2: Breed unknown.

Chick 3: Yellow with black racing stripes and a black spot on top of head.

Chick 4: Breed unknown.

Chick 5: Breed unknown.

Chick 6: Another possible Production Red. I had two of those eggs.

Chick 7: Breed unknown.

Chick 8: Breed unknown. Smaller brown egg than production red.

Chick 9: Breed unknown. White on tips of wings, under throat and the bottom is white.

I think the black and white ones are jersey giants, and all the red ones are probably production reds. not sure on the other black ones though.
I think your right, b/c I just got eggs i'm about to hatch from a Black Jersey giant rooster, & a barred rock hen/ & a prod red hen....supposedly half will be almost all black and the other half will be like yours...the white & black..., now the prod reds & jersey giant mix, I'm not quite sure about yet!, your #8 chicken could be a Buff Orphington...

I just hatched 9 eggs in my Hovabator genesis for the first time ever. Had a 100% hatch rate which is AWESOME. However, I have no idea what kind of birds I have. I collected eggs from random friends who have large flocks of multiple breeds of chickens. Does anyone have any ideas as to what these look like??
Thanks!!

chick 1: I think this one is a Production Red. My neighbor gave me one of his eggs to hatch and it supposedly came from a production red hen. Big beautiful brown egg. This is the LARGEST chick to hatch. Production red or BO

Chick 2: Breed unknown. Either australorp or jersey giant

Chick 3: Yellow with black racing stripes and a black spot on top of head. ? Maybe EE?

Chick 4: Breed unknown. Golden Seabright

Chick 5: Breed unknown. Australorp or Jersey Giant

Chick 6: Another possible Production Red. I had two of those eggs. Production red or BO

Chick 7: Breed unknown. Golden Seabright?

Chick 8: Breed unknown. Smaller brown egg than production red. BO

Chick 9: Breed unknown. White on tips of wings, under throat and the bottom is white. Australorp or BO
Those are my best guesses

does anyone know what this chick is?

Thanks!!

I agree, probably a Production Red. Coul also be a Rhode Island Red cross, or another "red" breed.
chick 1: I think this one is a Production Red. My neighbor gave me one of his eggs to hatch and it supposedly came from a production red hen. Big beautiful brown egg. This is the LARGEST chick to hatch.

Either a Jersey Giant or Blak Australorp. I'd lean towards it being an Australorp, as they are more common, but until it gets older and you can accurately tell the color of the bottoms of its feet, you won't be able to know for sure (Jersey Giants have yellow bottoms of feet, Australorps have white). It could also be a Black Sex-Link, or a Black Sex-Link cross.
Chick 2: Breed unknown.

Not sure, looks like a mix. The comb kind of looks like a pea comb, so it could be an Easter Egger.
Chick 3: Yellow with black racing stripes and a black spot on top of head.

Maybe Golden Sebright.
Chick 4: Breed unknown.
Could be an Australorp or Jersey Giant. I also think that it could be a mottled breed, like a Ancona.
Chick 5: Breed unknown.

Another Production Red or another 'red" bird (even a crossbreed)

Chick 6: Another possible Production Red. I had two of those eggs.

Not sure.
Chick 7: Breed unknown.

Another possible "red" breed, but could also have some Buff Orpington in it.
Chick 8: Breed unknown. Smaller brown egg than production red.

Another possible Australorp/Jersey Giant/Black Sex-Link, or a mix of the breeds.
Chick 9: Breed unknown. White on tips of wings, under throat and the bottom is white.

If your friends keep large mixed flocks, it is possible that they aren't all pure breeds. The hens may be pure, but if the rooster is a diffferent breed, the chicks will be mixes. However, here are my guesses:

You have a very cute bunch of chicks! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and positively identify all of your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom