Owning Chickens in Missouri

nolabel

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hello all!

I am very desperate for some help. I'm trying to find out what cities it is "allowed/acceptable/legal" to own chickens in the state of Missouri??? More specifically Silkie Bantams.

I've tried Googling for an answer to my question for a long time now and still no luck. I'd just simply call the City Halls to the cities I'm interested in but that would take forever and most of the time you can't get ahold of anyone with an answer.

So I'd be very grateful if someone here could list any cities they know FOR SURE that are okay with residents owning Silkie Bantams or (chickens in general).

THANKS

Perhaps you might ask about some specific towns in Mo? Most people would not have a whole list.

I do know that Springfield Mo passed last year that you can have 3 or 5 ( can't remember) hens in town.

Also if you are calling, probably the Animal Control people would be the ones who would really know the answer to whether chickens are legal or not. Cause they are the ones who have to deal with any animal problems.

Nolabel,
There isn't any difference in the breed of chicken. It makes no difference legally whether they're Jersey Giants or tiny Serama if they allow them. You can contact the City Hall for Ordinances pertaining to any subject you're interested in but if they do not have an ordinance banning them or banning livestock in the city limits, then that's the same as saying it's okay. You're not going to find an ordinance that specifically states that chickens are allowed in the city unless there has been an amendment to an ordinance that restricted livestock in town.

Many small towns have no ordinances one way or the other so it would more than likely not be an issue that would be addressed unless you have neighbors that complain. Generally, most people don't complain about hens that are contained. Keeping free range hens can be a problem if they go to the neighbors and scratch out their mulch or eat their garden or dig out dirt around the house etc so it's foolish to try and keep chickens free range when you have close neighbors. Keep only hens, keep them clean, well cared for and contained and you shouldn't have a problem..............Unless they are in a pen/cage that is close enough to the neighbors house that the hens cackling wakes them early in the morning. Being a good neighbor will go a long way in preventing problems. In town, if someone has chickens running loose all over the area, or they're dirty or penned up in a nasty looking pen and looking thin like they're not fed well or anything that can be called unsanitary or if they make noise that disturbs anyone then there are likely to be complaints.

Some ordinances in towns have come about because there were complaints so they may not be open to change. If you have neighbors close by, I would not go ask neighbors if they minded if you had chickens. No one asks their neighbors if they care if they went out to get a dog or cat. It's no ones business what you have unless they become a nuisance or you are violating an ordinance. That is like saying to the neighbor, I want you to tell me what I can have on my property and what I cannot and in my opinion, that is not right. If there is no ordinance, and no one complains, then you're fine with your Silkie hens (roosters can be a whole different issue no matter what the breed).

The larger towns and cities have likely addressed this in the past couple of years since there was a surge of interest in keeping a few egg layers in back yards lately. What town are you needing to find out about?

Cathy

In Springfield MO you can have 6 hens. They can't be free range. We have 6 and no one has complained.

Same question here. Does anybody know about Clinton, MO chicken rules? We've got 5 sweet girls in a huge chicken tractor and I'm really hoping they can come with me when we move. Right now I'm more focusing on finding a job.
idunno.gif

Hi,

I live in Fulton, MO and I am allowed 10 chickens which I have and I live right in town. I also have a rooster that one of my neighbors don't appreciate, but I am still allowed to have them. I went to the city office and ask them if I was allowed to have chickens and how many I could have. Mine are in at night in the hen house in our back yard and we have a fenced-in area for them during the day so no cats or dogs or other animals can get to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Faith Taggart

Last edited:
Hi,

I live in Fulton, MO and I am allowed 10 chickens which I have and I live right in town. I also have a rooster that one of my neighbors don't appreciate, but I am still allowed to have them. I went to the city office and ask them if I was allowed to have chickens and how many I could have. Mine are in at night in the hen house in our back yard and we have a fenced-in area for them during the day so no cats or dogs or other animals can get to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Faith Taggart
Wow, do you know if you can still have roosters in Fulton, MO? I am looking at moving there and was told today they didn't believe roosters are allowed.

Wow, do you know if you can still have roosters in Fulton, MO? I am looking at moving there and was told today they didn't believe roosters are allowed.

Your inquiry is in a 9 year old thread, directed at a poster absent for four years.

That said, go here. The short answer is that, with the right zoning, and a property over one acre in size, you can have 10 poultry.

Sec. 14-22. - Limitations on livestock and fowl.

This section shall establish the limit on the number of livestock or fowl (in any combination of species) on property consisting of no less than one acre. Any property containing less than one acre shall not keep livestock or fowl.
(1)
The following per acre limits apply to the keeping of livestock or fowl in any combination of species:
a.
One adult horse, mule, donkey, or other animal of like kind or cow, per acre,
b.
Three adult goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas, ostriches, or emus, per acre; and
c.
Ten adult rabbits, chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail, geese, or ducks, per acre.
(2)
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep more livestock or fowl on any premises than as set out in subsection (a) of this section.
(Ord. No. 1308-11, § 1, 12-20-11; Ord. No. 1498-19, § 1, 5-28-19)

While the ordinance does not specifically prohibit the keeping of Roosters, you must also be aware of this Section:

Sec. 14-5. - Running at large prohibited; declared nuisance.

(a)
Animals and fowl. Any animal or fowl running at large in the city off the property of the owner is declared to be a public nuisance.
(b)
Domestic animals afflicted with contagious diseases. No domestic animal afflicted with a contagious disease shall be allowed to run at large or to be exposed to the public in such a manner to affect the health of man or beast. Such animal shall be under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian.
(Code 1980, § 5-6; Ord. No. 912-02, § 1, 8-27-02; Ord. No. 1498-19, § 1, 5-28-19)

and this Definition:

Public nuisance animal means any animal that unreasonably annoys humans, endangers the life or health of other animals or persons or substantially interferes with the rights of citizens, other than its owner, to the enjoyment of life or property. The term "public nuisance animal" means and includes, but is not limited to any animal that:

(1)

Is found at large off the premises of the owner.

(2)

Damages the property of anyone other than its owner.

(3)

Molests or intimidates pedestrians or passersby.

(4)

Chases vehicles.

(5)

Excessively makes disturbing noises, including but not limited to continued/repeated howling, barking, whining or other utterances causing unreasonable annoyance, disturbance or discomfort to neighbors or others in close proximity to the premises where the animal is kept or harbored.

(6)

Causes fouling of the air by odor and thereby creates unreasonable annoyance or discomfort to neighbors and others in close proximity to the premises where the animal is kept or harbored.

(7)

Causes unsanitary conditions in enclosures or surroundings where the animal is kept or harbored.

(8)

Is offensive or potentially dangerous to the public health, safety or welfare by virtue of the number or types of animals maintained.

(9)

Attacks other domestic animals.

tl,dr; You can have Roosters, if they are contained, and your neighbors don't deem them smelly or noisy.

You should also familiarize yourself with the Building Code regarding coop placement and construction, as well as any local HOA rules, etc.

Back
Top Bottom