Oyster Shell vs Shell Grit

debidoesnt

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2022
Hi. I am new to the forum so I am counting on the Brains Trust to help me out. I am having trouble finding Oyster Shell in the top end of Australia and have a hen with soft egg shells. Will shell grit serve the same purpose of supplying calcium as oyster shell? If not, if the oyster shell flour from a gardening supply place safe for the hens and will they eat it? I have been giving them cuttle fish shell but am unsure if this will help either.

I believe shell grit is the same/similar to oyster shell (different terminology based on location) but if you could post a photo of a package that would help.

Basically if it's shell fragments or small shells, it's a calcium source.

I believe shell grit is the same/similar to oyster shell (different terminology based on location) but if you could post a photo of a package that would help.

Basically if it's shell fragments or small shells, it's a calcium source.
Yes the shells are quite small. I can't post a photo but it is like the tiny pieces of shell washed up all together on the beach. About the size of a grain of rice.

Yes the shells are quite small. I can't post a photo but it is like the tiny pieces of shell washed up all together on the beach. About the size of a grain of rice.
Yeah I haven't seen it in that form in the US, but I guess it's more common in Australia, maybe because that's what is locally available. Either way, shells = calcium.

Back
Top Bottom