Perch width, what’s the science?

When I built my coop two years ago, I had already been reading up on roosts and ventilation for months.
It gets down to -25c/-15f here.
So I chose to use 2x3" studs wide side up.
Actual dimensions are 1 1/2 x 2 1/2. I smoothed over the edges with a sander.
I like em and my duel purpose hens like em. 20180708_204700_kindlephoto-3802252.jpg . They can curl the first joint of middle and rear toe. Haven't gotten frost bite over two winters.
I will use the same on my next coop. GC

Here's an except to a book that claims (though scientific study) that you are right and round perches are better.
https://books.google.com/books?id=M...g=CTzS9qbAdYEaCvxYlzuKIiLs9UQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=
0ahUKEwiVtcqF9e7cAhUKHqwKHZalAJw4ChDoAQgcMAY#v=onepage&q=science%20behind%20flat%20perches%20for%20chickens&f=false

Pugsabi good article on round versus flat roosting bars. Also good point to note that chickens don’t come out of the brooder knowing how to roost and need encouragement. Since chics are food motivated I put crumble on the bars when young and taught one to get up on it from my finger. Once one does it they all tend to follow. Same with my chic swing.

I would just make sure on 2x4 that edges are rounded for gripping and most are. If not router works fine to round edges. Also make sure it is smooth without splinters so it does not cut or scratch feet. Lots of people also use rounded tree limbs just picked out of yard and propped or secured into coop run. Your chics will use it if they like it and have been taught to. Natural instincts I think drive them to roost.

Here's an except to a book that claims (though scientific study) that you are right and round perches are better.
https://books.google.com/books?id=M...g=CTzS9qbAdYEaCvxYlzuKIiLs9UQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=
0ahUKEwiVtcqF9e7cAhUKHqwKHZalAJw4ChDoAQgcMAY#v=onepage&q=science%20behind%20flat%20perches%20for%20chickens&f=false
Good job Pugsabi:thumbsup
I must confess now, I've read another academic paper that came to a similar conclusion.
So it seems possible that the recommendations for flat wide perches are wrong.:oops:

I haven’t seen studies specific to chicken perches, but there are a number that have been done over the years on cage birds.

All the ones I’ve read indicate a variety of shapes and sizes are best to exercise the feet and help prevent arthritic joints. The round perches that are sold with cages are ok as one option but should never be the only choice.

Debarked branches with variations in shape and size over their length are generally accepted as the “best” option, and it’s preferable to offer several made of different hardnesses as well. Moving a few inches to one side or another will then cause the feet to flex differently.

It’s probably more important to give options in wood type, size, and shape than to try to find one “best” perch.

I haven’t seen studies specific to chicken perches, but there are a number that have been done over the years on cage birds.

All the ones I’ve read indicate a variety of shapes and sizes are best to exercise the feet and help prevent arthritic joints. The round perches that are sold with cages are ok as one option but should never be the only choice.

Debarked branches with variations in shape and size over their length are generally accepted as the “best” option, and it’s preferable to offer several made of different hardnesses as well. Moving a few inches to one side or another will then cause the feet to flex differently.

It’s probably more important to give options in wood type, size, and shape than to try to find one “best” perch.
That's what I've read. It makes sense when you think about it. The paper I read suggested that if branches were not easily available then stock wood poles one and one quarter diameter were a good option. The paper also suggested that the poles should not be smooth and if they were they should be roughened with a coarse rasp.

Back
Top Bottom