Personality vs. Egg Production

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I am new - had three hens and now have none, so am planning my next clucks. I want some nice standard chickens that don't mind being handled but are really good egg producers. I also like having a mix because I can only have 6 chickens where I live. I know I want barred rocks because my barred rock was my favorite of my last little flock before the fox got her.

I want lots of eggs, too. Would the following mix be good for what I'm looking for? Suggestions are very very welcome!

Australorp
Buff Orpington
Barred Rock
Rhode Island Red - or should I get Black or Red Sexlink - which is nicer?
(and are Black Stars the same as Black sexlink?)

Thanks!

Quote:
I think you have a very nice selection. I love all the breeds above, and I have 6 RIR they are very good hens and they lay good eggs.

Omran

Hi Cityclucks,

I've had each of the 4 breeds on your list, except - it was a RIR rooster and not a hen. The rooster was fine but I really have gotten the idea that he must have been an exception since so many folks have had aggressive RIR roo's. But, roo's are not what you are asking about.

I don't believe that you need to give up either personality OR egg production. Of the 4, probably RIR's would be the best layers but my Australorps and BR's are good, also. The BO's I had were the least productive but they were nice hens. Aussies, BR's, and BO's usually have great personalities.

I haven't had any of the hybrid sex links but my brother was very happy with his Reds. And yes, the Black Star is a a black sex link. Out of all 6, I'd bet that the sex links and the RIR's would have the highest egg production.

If you will be getting 6 pullets, you've got 6 on your list to choose from - one of each? I think they are excellent choices and wouldn't hesitate getting any of them.

Steve

Thanks so much - I am so glad I found this forum and that you are all so knowledgeable and willing to share what you know!

I think I will go for 1 of each!

My red sex-links were awful. Flightiest things I'd ever seen...attacked my other birds.

My RIRs on the other hand...the sweetest breed I had. Then again...my Langshans are growing on me more and more! lol

I have 2 each of barred rock and RIR hens and they are all really sweet. The barred rocks will take treats right from my hand. We have one red girl who likes to hop the fence and explore, but she always finds her way back into the pen.

I'd also recommend easter eggers/araucanas - I have 3 and I'm planning to get more. If I hold out my arm, they will sometimes fly up and roost on me. They are good layers, have lovely personalities, and everyone loves the green eggs too.

Good info rodriguezpoultry and pixiechic! No to red sex-links, yes to RIRs. I am glad to know this because I hadn't heard if RIRs were friendly clucks - in my mind they are worker hens. I was thinking of them as the "can't stop to visit - off to eat and lay another egg" type - so it's good to hear that they are sweet.

I was also considering easter eggers or americaunas - maybe I'll get one of those instead of a black sex link to fill out my six. I'm thinking of getting some "spare clucks," since the risk around here of things going wrong has been proven...

Stay away from Mediterranean breeds..those are the ones that generally walk up, get what they want...and leave.

My RIR's (production ones from a hatchery) would sit next to me for hours. My Wyandottes didn't like me as much...

My Asiatic breeds are honestly some of my favorites now. They exhibit the same personalities my production reds did.

I went and got a young RIR pullet...shame on me...LOL

I have Red Sex links, black sex links, buff orpingtons, RIR, golden campines and silver campines.

The best layers, laying huge eggs, very young, and laying all winter were the Red sex links. All the red sex links were very nice birds, great friendly personalities and the friendliest of all my birds

The buff orps is very sweet and a little shy. You have to have some, just because they are so beautiful.

The RIR are not as good egg producers as the red sex links nor are the eggs as big. One has a great personality though, and loves to play with my German Shepherd.

The campines are beautiful, lay small eggs, and roost every night in a huge cypress tree. I have to pull them out every night and put them in a coop. Can we say royal pain in the hiney? Also the wildest and least friendly.

The black sex links are the next least friendly.

If you are going for huge eggs and personality, I'd get the red sex link. A nice side benefit is that their color vary enough that you can tell them apart, which you can't always do with RIR.

Back
Top Bottom