I've seen pink eggs and pink egg projects all the way back to the early 80s when EEs were huge. People then wanted EEs that laid blue, green and pink eggs.
There were projects going on then to get something to reliably lay pink eggs.
First problem is is what is pink? Everyone has different ideas. I'm a critic when it comes to pink eggs because I've seen so many that were said to be pink that just looked tan to me. And I'm sure everyone else have seen the same at least a few times.
FIRST THING TO DO IS make a pink egg color chart kinda like marans have to judge their darkness.
Get a chart so everyone involved can have something to judge their color of pink to and so they can also know what others are getting by their chart.
Next...I'm not saying there isn't some breed/project out there that doesn't lay a decent pink egg but I don't believe there is any common breed like faverolles, sussex, australop etc. That consistently produce pink eggs across the breed.
I would not chase a breed in general but individuals for the project.
Sure there are some breeds known
for it so I'd narrow it down to about 3 or 4 breeds and source for individuals that can contribute to the project.
I think the OP is taking this idea pretty serious so people should talk from experience not from what they've heard or read or seen random pics of from the internet.
I think the project is quite possible but honestly think its one of the most difficult projects you could take on. I'd think it would take a looooong time to get it accomplished so its gonna take dedicated people and serious efforts.
I wish you luck

I've seen pink eggs and pink egg projects all the way back to the early 80s when EEs were huge. People then wanted EEs that laid blue, green and pink eggs.
There were projects going on then to get something to reliably lay pink eggs.
First problem is is what is pink? Everyone has different ideas. I'm a critic when it comes to pink eggs because I've seen so many that were said to be pink that just looked tan to me. And I'm sure everyone else have seen the same at least a few times.
FIRST THING TO DO IS make a pink egg color chart kinda like marans have to judge their darkness.
Get a chart so everyone involved can have something to judge their color of pink to and so they can also know what others are getting by their chart.
Next...I'm not saying there isn't some breed/project out there that doesn't lay a decent pink egg but I don't believe there is any common breed like faverolles, sussex, australop etc. That consistently produce pink eggs across the breed.
Sure there are some breeds known
for it so I'd narrow it down to about 3 or 4 breeds and source for individuals that can contribute to the project.
I think the OP is taking this idea pretty serious so people should talk from experience not from what they've heard or read or seen random pics of from the internet.
I think the project is quite possible but honestly think its one of the most difficult projects you could take on. I'd think it would take a looooong time to get it accomplished so its gonna take dedicated people and serious efforts.
I wish you luck
Well said!

Hope I am not too off topic but if you still want to build a pink/salmon egg layer they might be worth a look over.

Your not off topic at all! The goal of this thread is to gather opinions and see if something could come of this project. You do have very pretty eggs, I'm taking note of everyone's comments and who has what eggs and we'll see where this leads.

The main reason I started the post as well was because I know how impossible this task is for one breeder alone. To happen upon a chance pink egg and make something of it for breeding purposes is very unlikely. Well have to raise 100 chicks to maybe get 10 good ones... I'm not unrealistic in that aspect, nor am I daunted by the task!

Very good idea! I was originally thinking of paint chips from a national brand of paint, or there is an app on your phone that can capture the color and put a color code for it. But I see the value in having a standardized scale, and may go with that instead.

I agree completely, if there was a breed that I could selectively pare only pink egg layers, to get that shade, it would have been done long ago.

I would love to selectively breed to acquire a hen who's offspring would reliably produce pink hued eggs, however realize this is a near impossible task for one person, as to do it right I'd have to hatch 1000s of eggs, then raise them till laying age, culling 98% of the birds. It could literally take a lifetime! However I've thought of a cooperative, mutually beneficial way that a lot of us could possibly achieve this goal in a shorter time by working together, and balancing out the costs of raising the birds so the burden doesn't fall on one person/breeder. There would be multiple levels or memberships in the program, and a single person could easily hold several positions at one time, depending on how involved they want to be.

Regional/State Project Coordinators "book keepers"
  • Keep track of all participants in their area, (people and birds)
  • Non-coordinator breeders/hatchers report back to them with wing clip numbers/results
  • Check in with raisers to see if any birds are laying pink
  • Dismiss birds/wing numbers from program if not meeting standards
  • Communicate with other Coordinators to develope breeding direction, short term goals, standards, ect
  • Directly monitor breeders in their area to ensure basic standards are being met
Breeders (often hatchers/raisers too)
  • Maintain roosters and breeding pens
  • Work with Coordinators to acquire new roosters/donor hens
  • Must be NPIP certified, have a designated quarantine area away from other flocks
  • Either hatch eggs or distribute eggs to hatchers, document egg shell colors per standards set
  • Report directly to Coordinators
  • Work with donors/Coordinators to figure logistics of transporting donor birds
Hatchers (often also raisers too)
  • Incubate and hatch chicks
  • Wing band chicks per standards set, and report numbers to Coordinator
  • Distribute chicks to raisers, report to Coordinators who received them and which numbers, etc
  • Must be able to keep track of batches, so lineage can be confirmed. Needs plan in place to separate eggs if needed.
Raisers (often donors too)
  • Receive chicks from hatchers to raise until at least laying age
  • Donors receive chicks free or at discount
  • Can sell infertile eggs for income to help recoup feed costs
  • Can't sell or re-home chicks without first contacting coordinator unless they've been dismissed from the program already
  • Report to coordinator if any hens are laying pink, and work as a donor to keep that hen in the program another year
  • Work with Coordinators to re-home unwanted roosters
Donors (often raisers)
  • "Donate" "lend" or possibly sell, current pink laying hens for a set amount of time in order to breed, to Coordinators or breeders. Hens must consistently produce pink eggs, not just randomly pink eggs.
  • Earn membership in the project to receive discounts on future chicks
  • Can earn membership status through monetary contributions as well, as per standards set, through Coordinators
Researchers
  • Work with Coordinators/breeders/hatchers to improve project through scientific studies
  • Receive updated lists of which birds, and lineages are consistently producing pink
  • Conduct studies, draw blood, analyse genome etc on project birds

Hopefully, by giving researchers the opportunity to analyze a large amount of pink laying birds from different sources and breeds, they will be able to more quickly make correlations between the genes that produce these pink hues. This in turn could theoretically shorten the time it takes to get to our end goal.

Once a strain, or multiple strains of consistent pink layers are produced, then all Coordinators, breeders, and hatchers in the program at that time will be the first to receive breeding stock. Raisers and donors will get the option of discounted chicks (per standards set). At that time Coordinators can work with their individual breeder group to further develope the strain into preferred color feathering, shape, consistency of egg size, quantity, etc. While staying connected with other Coordinators to ensure genetic diversity, consistency, etc. Ultimately once refined, these birds could achieve breed status.

If you may be interested or would like to be on a list for more information regarding the project, please comment below.

I am located in Nebraska, however Coordinators can be set up in any area or State. I've contacted The University of Nebraska-Lincoln if any of their faculty would be interested in this research opportunity, however have not heard back yet. Depending on how many are interested in participating, and where geographically they are located several university's could be involved.
Very interested let me know I love hatching raising and getting beautiful eggs.

Very good idea! I was originally thinking of paint chips from a national brand of paint, or there is an app on your phone that can capture the color and put a color code for it. But I see the value in having a standardized scale, and may go with that instead.

I agree completely, if there was a breed that I could selectively pare only pink egg layers, to get that shade, it would have been done long ago.
I like paint chips. Then you can cut circular holes in each and put the egg under it.

Has anyone had experience or heard what has come of a cross between a cream egg layer with something darker with red tones? (Marans, Penedesenca, Croad Langshan, ect...)

Back
Top Bottom