Plastic Barrel duck coop

LillyBantam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
Hey everyone. :D

I am going to move my ducks out of the chicken coop for nights because they are so fidgety and upset the hens all night. I decided this summer (that due to a red mite infestation) I would not buy any more timber products for my birds. So I'd like to get a plastic house for my ducks. The only thing is these are very expensive, and I set about finding an alternative. I came across plastic barrels. Some companies sell them ready converted, I am happy to convert one myself, it will be fun and I can design as I wish.

Has anyone else used one of these? Are they warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer (nights only as free range during the day). If it works out I might do one for the hens too so they never have to experience the dreaded mites again. I would obviously fill with hay or straw for extra warmth in winter. ;)

My ducks would prefer to stay out all night, i'm sure, but I want to protect them from predators and keep them warm/dry.

I can't find any reviews on them in terms of their suitability for poultry. :/

Thanks.

I'd be VERY skeptical about them due to poor ventilation.

I like the idea but I wouldn't want a big blue ugly barrel in my yard...as for ventilation, you could always drill some holes in the sides. and you would have to figure out a predator proof door..

They have vents built in (I could easily make my own having see the pictures of them). You can either screw the bit top on as a door or cut one out with a jigsaw blade and make a hinge out of cable tiles. Yes I thought about the 'big blue barrel' but I would put it along side their pond amongst the bushes. I was more concerned as to whether it would be warm enough. The good parts are no mites and it would be rat and fox proof for sure.

Ducks have a nice down jacket to keep them warm, they should be good to go as long as you can keep the predators away. I have not used the drum for the chickens or ducks. But my dogs have made it through many winters using them.. Also the mites will still live in any bedding that you may use, but will be easy to clean out.

Post some pics when you get it done.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. This is my first winter with my 4 ducks (in fact the first winter for two of them as they were only hatched this summer). I read that they winter well. I change the bedding regular... especially the sticky ducks!
wink.png
To be honest they were ok, it was chickens that got the brunt of the mites. but I have had enough of timber and poultry, they dont mix. i want something that I can really keep hygenic.

I have just got to find a hardware store that sells them now. I am hoping for green so it blends in a bit! i figured its a cost efficient solution, so hoping it works out.

Wendy

Hi

Thanks for your reply. This is my first winter with my 4 ducks (in fact the first winter for two of them as they were only hatched this summer). I read that they winter well. I change the bedding regular... especially the sticky ducks!
wink.png
To be honest they were ok, it was chickens that got the brunt of the mites. but I have had enough of timber and poultry, they dont mix. i want something that I can really keep hygenic.

I have just got to find a hardware store that sells them now. I am hoping for green so it blends in a bit! i figured its a cost efficient solution, so hoping it works out.

Wendy
I wouldn't be concerned with keeping them warm as keeping them cool, ventilation is very important and not sure you could provide enough in a plastic barrel. putting holes in wouldn't be good enough I don't think. Water fowl if given water to bath in very seldom get parasites.

Back
Top Bottom