Prolonging shelf life of Eprinex

broodytood

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Swampville, Wa!
Does anyone know if you can prolong the shelf life of Eprinex? Will cool, dark storage or freezing help?
It's a large amount for a small backyard flock and does cost a bit to buy and have shipped so I'm trying to think of ways to make it last longer than a year.
Any thoughts?

If it's a drug, the expiration date may not be acccurate. Drugs are required to have an expiration date per FDA and they can be sooner than really losing efficacy. Drug companies test for the half-lives of drugs by requirement and the expiration date must be on or before this time. After all, if it "expires" you have to buy more. I suggest searching online for information.

The DOD did a big study on this and found that many of the drugs in their pharmacies/medical stations were still effective long after the expiration dates.

Quote:
Ditto. I saw the DOD study. Chickens metabolisms are very quick to absorb and breakdown chemicals, much more so than most animals and humans. To use eprinex or any other wormer after an expiration date is guesswork with chickens. One would think that the dosage would have to be increased for effectiveness after expiration, this may or may not be true. Too much and you risk overdosing causing organ damage/failure leading to death. Too little or an ineffective 'regular' dose wont kill the parasites. Total guesswork. It's best to buy another bottle of eprinex or buy a cheaper (moneywise) wormer. There are cheaper wormers that are more effective than eprinex IMO, such as Safeguard liquid goat wormer...half the cost of a 250ml bottle of eprinex. Your choice what you decide to do though.

Thanks for all the insight!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom