Question about mites and elector psp

Pics

NHUH

Songster
5 Years
Sep 26, 2018
For the chicken keepers knowing and having experience with elector psp:

It is said everywhere to spray your chickens in specific areas (vent etc) or all over their skin. I was thinking why not to dip them in a bath? I only have a few chickens and it wouldn’t be that costly, since psp is very concentrated.

Anyone any idea why I can’t find info on that or if you think this would be safe?
(My chickens are friendly and do not flap around when I bathe them.)

Thank you

I love Elector! Dipping is one of the most effective methods of treating lice and mites on a chicken. As long as the day is warm, they can air dry after you blot most of the liquid off their feathers with an absorbent bath towel.

I mix up a couple gallons of the Elector and use the same bath for all the chickens. No need to do a new one for each, especially if you only have a few.

A tip: using a bath towel warm right out of the dryer will blot up more liquid and make the chicken feel oh so cozy after being dunked.

I bathe my birds for shows. I did have a mite infestation in a coop and did bathe the birds using flea shampoo from that coop. I did use the same tub of water. It did get rid of a lot of the mites but not all. I sprayed all of the coops thoroughly with permethrin spray. I did it weekly at first and did get rid of the mites. I have around 200 birds.
2014-10-23 16.06.07.jpg
IMG_20151022_133205.jpg

For the chicken keepers knowing and having experience with elector psp:

It is said everywhere to spray your chickens in specific areas (vent etc) or all over their skin. I was thinking why not to dip them in a bath? I only have a few chickens and it wouldn’t be that costly, since psp is very concentrated.

Anyone any idea why I can’t find info on that or if you think this would be safe?
(My chickens are friendly and do not flap around when I bathe them.)

Thank you
Dipping is a great idea! You can also strain the water afterwards and put it in a sprayer and use that to spray the inside of the coop to get rid of the mites in their living area.

I love Elector! Dipping is one of the most effective methods of treating lice and mites on a chicken. As long as the day is warm, they can air dry after you blot most of the liquid off their feathers with an absorbent bath towel.

I mix up a couple gallons of the Elector and use the same bath for all the chickens. No need to do a new one for each, especially if you only have a few.

A tip: using a bath towel warm right out of the dryer will blot up more liquid and make the chicken feel oh so cozy after being dunked.

Thank you, thank you!!! That’s exactly what I want to do. And the warm bath towel tip is great.

I bathe my birds for shows. I did have a mite infestation in a coop and did bathe the birds using flea shampoo from that coop. I did use the same tub of water. It did get rid of a lot of the mites but not all. I sprayed all of the coops thoroughly with permethrin spray. I did it weekly at first and did get rid of the mites. I have around 200 birds.
View attachment 1781402View attachment 1781401
HA! Chicken Burrito!!:gig:lau

Here is another question, since you guys seem very experienced and helpful: Our wooden coop is fairly small (5x5) but consists of many multiple pieces connecting to each other. I started taking some smaller pieces apart and noticed the mites (very likely northern fowl), hiding in areas where wood meets wood, screw holes, wood knots etc., even in the plastic pieces of the automatic door opener. There are so so many of these little areas and I can’t take apart all of it. Since the elector psp is water based, I am very worried that it won’t penetrate those areas and I won’t be able to get rid of them all and the problem will just start over again. At this point I am ok with getting rid of the coop and investing in a new one if I have to.

Did you guys experience mites repopulating because a 100% clean up isn’t possible? Or is the spray so good that it will magically clean them in hidden spot ;) ?

Here is another question, since you guys seem very experienced and helpful: Our wooden coop is fairly small (5x5) but consists of many multiple pieces connecting to each other. I started taking some smaller pieces apart and noticed the mites (very likely northern fowl), hiding in areas where wood meets wood, screw holes, wood knots etc., even in the plastic pieces of the automatic door opener. There are so so many of these little areas and I can’t take apart all of it. Since the elector psp is water based, I am very worried that it won’t penetrate those areas and I won’t be able to get rid of them all and the problem will just start over again. At this point I am ok with getting rid of the coop and investing in a new one if I have to.

Did you guys experience mites repopulating because a 100% clean up isn’t possible? Or is the spray so good that it will magically clean them in hidden spot ;) ?
You don’t have to actually spray the
mite. Elector PSP will work because as the mites come out at night they will walk over the wood that has been treated and then that will kill them. Once you dip your girls, if I was you, I would just spray the inside of the coop every couple weeks until there is nothing left of them mites.

Back
Top Bottom