Really big testicles on the roo I just processed

mirecipes

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
This was only my 5th rooster to process..

My first one was RIR and 10 months old..
This one was Buff Orp and about 4-5 months old (he had just started crowing)
I had originally wanted to keep him for breeding, but he was a real bad @$$ picking on the hens and everyone else except for my main RIR rooster who would run him away from the others..

He seemed to have more fluid in the body cavity than I'm used to..But I did wash it out some as I was skinning it..

This roo had more fat than usual..I admit I had been giving them scratch on the cold days since I heard it helps keep them warm..
We don't get -that- many cold days here since I'm in Texas..
He was far from lazy..

The heart and liver look normal..The gizzard maybe a little bigger than the other's I've "invited to dinner"

This picture shows the heart, liver, testicles and a pint sized mason jar for size reference.

15399_giblets.jpg

I did notice some light colored mites(?) in his feathers
I will be dusting the others in the morning as I let them out to freerange..
I use DE regularly, and have had sevin dust on the floor of the coop where they sleep for awhile now..

I have company coming from out of town tomorrow and wanted to have a nice chicken dinner (probably Monday evening)
He is an old friend..and if he had been in town when I processed my first roo..He would have been a big help cause he has experience in that area
smile.png

So..All that being said (lol!!)
Should I cook the roo for my dogs, or it it safe for humans?

Thanks for any input
wink.png

Edited to add picture

Last edited:
Cool! Thank you!!

I hear some folks eat them like "rocky mountain oysters"
So I might just save them for my friend
wink.png

Wonder if I can find a recipe online..hehehe..doubt it
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I wonder about the Sevin dust....I don't even use that on my yard.

I found this on http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001607 website but the link to the whole article does not work:

Residue studies with poultry dusted with Sevin showed highest concentrations of residues to be in skin tissue where an average of 19.3
p.p.m. Sevin was found 1 day after the final treatment. A 7-day waiting period between
treatment and slaughter reduced these residues to 2.1 5 p.p.m. No significant amount of
either 1 -naphthol or its conjugates was found in any tissue of birds processed 7 days after
treatment, and eggs were found free of residues throughout the study.

hmm.png

they are large, i used to help weekly with the local vol fire company's chicken fry, we would get whole chickens in they were processed but we did the finishing touches, wing tips extra skin and fat, pin feathers, and on males the testecles, none were this big:/

Yikes!! Yea, I normally go as "organic" as possible around here..
I use a combination of orange oil and molassas on the fire ant mounds..

But I didn't want my guys and gals getting itchy, so I went for the sevin..

they are large, i used to help weekly with the local vol fire company's chicken fry, we would get whole chickens in they were processed but we did the finishing touches, wing tips extra skin and fat, pin feathers, and on males the testecles, none were this big:/

This is normal for 10 month old roosters. The ones you had at your works chicken fry were probably young cornish x about 6 weeks old. It's like anything else.... they just get bigger as they rest of the body grows. This is why when you capon a rooster you want to do it as young as possible as when they get older the testes are much larger and cause a greater risk to the birds health.​

This one was not 10 months old..My first rooster dinner was 10 months old, and his were about half the size of this one's
hmm.png

Edited to add..This one had just started to crow..But he was a real meanie chasing everyone except my year old RIR..Who was trying his best to protect the others
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom