Rhode Island Red Cornish Cross?

Quote:
Doh I cant believe I missed that, they would also have white legs. Unless these are made like Cornish Rocks to have the SC.

No, they would be Yellow. Both Cornish and R.I. Reds have yellow legs.
They wouldn't have to be a F1 they could be a BC1 or even a BC2 and still be a "Cornish /Rhode Island Red" cross.

Chris

Oh doh, for some reason i got it stuck in my head that all english variety birds had white legs. Wonder what else they crossed into Cornish X to get their white legs.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think there is a reason to limit feed unless they're fat.
Do you know what they weigh? Very fast growth would be over 10 pounds at this age (Cornish X). Some breeds grow at a decent rate (Rocks for example), I have a chick that is over 5 pounds and is only 14 weeks old, and comes from a top-line (too back he's a cull, crooked toes).

These hens range from 8-10 lbs, and should be close to fully grown. As to feed restriction, I'm keeping them for layers so I don't want them to put on much more weight, plus a few of them seem a little lazy, just laying by the food most of the day.

These seemed to have developed fairly well. I only lost two of fifteen, one culled due to splayed legs and one unexplained death (I found her laying dead next to the water last week). I think I'll try breeding these back with my RIR rooster to see what the results will be, maybe it will tone down the cornish influence a bit.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I looked at you hens. They are very nice looking. I going to try to create my own layer/meat birds, I got my start now just waiting on the babies to grow up.

1st cross) White Plymouth Rock over Red Sex Links.
next cross will be a White rooster from the above cross over Dark Cornish hens. the hens were hatched out on June 13th and 14th and the rooster hatched out June 21th and 22nd. I think this will make an awesome cross.

I have a rooster whose father was a Dark Cornish and mother RIR. I named him Baby Huey cause he turned out bigger than both his parents. He's a beautiful bird.

Hi everyone,

I've gotten myself into an odd situation by ordering "old-fashioned" Rhode Island Reds through the local farmers' co-op. My intention was to raise heritage (as opposed to production) RIR laying hens, but the chickens turned out buff and are currently very heavy at 18 weeks. I called the hatchery (Clearview Farm & Hatchery) and it turns out that what they meant by old fashioned was RIR crossed with cornish chickens to create a very heavy chicken capable of laying eggs.

My question is this... Given the notorious health problems of cornish-rock chickens reaching adulthood, should I go ahead and slaughter these chickens for meat, or see if they end up as healthy adults? I should also mention that one died last week for no clear reason, and the others are seeming increasingly languid as they continue to widen out.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Is the roo or hen Cornish?

Eggs&Toast :
Here are some pictures of the chickens in question. Let me know what you think.​
Dang they are nice and big, I know some people that would want those. At 18 weeks I think the most problems you will reach have already been reached. You might want to still restrict feed while still encouraging them to forage.​
The bird look like a typical Kabir hen which literally means big in Arabic

I think I have the same birds! They were from a batch from a feed store that was supposed to be Production Red.
I think one has finally started laying(I have other chickens) I had them for 6 weeks. They were supposed to be 3-4 months when I got them.
I was thinking Cornish x RRI?

Attachments

• April 8-Big Birds Callahan.jpg
    April 8-Big Birds Callahan.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 35
I think I have the same birds! They were from a batch from a feed store that was supposed to be Production Red.
I think one has finally started laying(I have other chickens) I had them for 6 weeks. They were supposed to be 3-4 months when I got them.
I was thinking Cornish x RRI?
They could be red rangers

Back
Top Bottom