Rooster attitude changing?

Folly's place

Addict
12 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
This is a developing story, and I'm concerned that it won't turn out well.
My 2019 Easter Egger rooster, who's never shown any human aggressive tendencies, seems to be changing recently. He's now 'accidently' following me, getting closer, and when I turn to look at him, he looks away and wander off, again, as if he doesn't have a bad though in his little brain. So far, no actual attacks, but this isn't making me happy.
Also, he's one of only three adult roos, and the other two have their group of hens, while this guy only likes one hen, a hatchmate, and chases the others, rather than trying to make up to them..I already am not pleased with this behavior, but if/ when he makes contact with me, he's done.
Any thoughts?
Mary

Since he's barely a year he may be just coming into his confidence. You may be able to turn him around with some confident posturing on your part, and not giving him your back. Personally I would remove him, either temporarily to a separate pen to see if he matures out of it, or remove him permanently.

Also, he's one of only three adult roos, and the other two have their group of hens, while this guy only likes one hen, a hatchmate, and chases the others, rather than trying to make up to them..

Are they all in one run or does he have his own coop and run with his own flock of hens?

They have a large coop/ run combination building, with five separate areas usually opened to each other, but out of sightlines, and they free range outside most days, when the separate groups split up. He usually hangs out near the coop, by himself, with the Belgian d'Uccles and their rooster fairly nearby, and now the nine week old chicks and the six week old chicks not far away. The rest of the adults spend more time near the barn, about 100 ft. away.
When i go to the coop area, he's just getting too interested in me, given that i never give treats out there for him.
Mary

That's what I'm thinking now. He was the junior EE bantam cock, until his sire was killed this spring by a hawk. That was a very bad day! It also changed the flock dynamics, as it always does, and not for the better in this case.
I was planning to send him to auction/ rehome him, but not if he's going to be an attack bird!
Mary

Yes on all counts! I also have a couple of 'keepers' in a small group from Cackle this April, including a cockerel. Another reason this cock bird was maybe leaving anyway, although I prefer to have two roosters in every breeding group, for 'insurance'.
Nobody with a bad attitude will be rehomed, or bred on!!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom